State Agencies Attorney
The Office of the Minnesota Attorney General is accepting resumes from experienced attorneys to join the State Agencies Division of the Office.
Attorneys in the State Agencies Division represent a variety of State agencies including the Minnesota Departments of Health, Labor and Industry, Corrections, Human Rights, and Veterans Affairs. Attorneys represent agencies in state and federal court litigation including defense of Section 1983 lawsuits, often involving constitutional issues. Attorneys also handle administrative proceedings for State agencies, including enforcement of labor, health, human rights, and safety laws. Lawyers in the section are responsible for all phases of civil litigation, including preparing pleadings and briefs, appearing at court hearings and trials, and handling appeals.
- Graduation from a law school accredited by the ABA and licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota;
- Three years of direct civil litigation experience;
- An interest in handling cases on behalf of the State before administrative tribunals, district courts, and in the appellate courts;
- Proven ability to litigate independently and make strategic legal decisions as lead counsel on a diverse caseload;
- Ability to travel to counties throughout the state;
- Proven ability to contribute positively to a team and interact successfully with clients and members of the public;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Proven ability to multitask by managing an active caseload and meeting tight deadlines; and
- Proven ability to work in an inclusive, creative and collaborative work environment.
- Experience using electronic files and case management tools.
- Relevant practice experience.
Why Work For Us: The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison — one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices and recently recognized as a Star Tribune 2021 Top Workplace — has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity, safety, and respect. We’re a dynamic group of dedicated people who could all work elsewhere but choose public service as a calling, and we’re actively building an internal culture that supports that calling. We invite you to apply to be part of the team that helps recruit, support and train dedicated attorneys, legal assistants, investigators, and other staff, all focused on helping Minnesotans.
We offer a great benefits package! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Public service with this office may qualify applicants to have part of their student loans forgiven under a federal student loan forgiveness program for state government employees. (Visit www.studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.)
Application Information: Interested applicants must apply by sending a resume, cover letter and writing sample (five pages or less) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The priority application deadline is October 8, 2021. We accept applications thereafter on a rolling basis.
Note: The Attorney General’s Office greatly encourages, celebrates and values diversity. It is an equal opportunity employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or military status. If you need reasonable accommodation for a disability, please call June Walsh at (651) 757-1199 or (800) 627-3529 (Minnesota Relay).