Engineering Service Specialist
At The Toro Company's corporate headquarters in Bloomington, Minnesota we pride ourselves in being an industry leader for outdoor environment products. These markets include turf and landscape maintenance, snow and ice management, underground utility, specialty construction, and irrigation and outdoor lighting solutions. Our teams at this location take pride in being on cutting edge of creating innovative products while partnering with world-class employees that bring passion to their everyday work. This is a location that truly values its employees with upward career mobility and advancement opportunities.
We invite you to become part of our team!
Support industry-leading products that leverage innovation and technology to enhance productivity for our customers. Respond to and resolve technical inquiries quickly and accurately along with performing technical research to quickly identify product issues, and provide technical product support. Partner with our distributor service channel to deliver customer focused operational excellence and be an advocate for product quality.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Product Issue Support:
- Respond to dealer and distributor technical and quality inquiries/issues/complaints from a variety of sources (phone, electronic case submissions, emails, etc.) and resolve these issues by involving and collaborating with others as needed to implement quick and accurate solutions.
- Leverage and drive digital and technological transformation in service support activities by utilizing current and future technologies to gain efficiencies in technical support (i.e. augmented reality/virtual reality (AR/VR), wearables, Machine to Machine (M2M) communication, diagnostic tool advancement, telematics, etc.).
- Assist our service channel with our newest technology in the areas of global positioning systems (GPS), electronic engine/systems (Tier 4), Controller Area Network (CAN) controls, hybrid technology, autosteer technology, remote diagnostic systems, lithium-ion batteries, and more.
- Support the channel’s technical questions on all current and historical products (gas, diesel, battery power products).
- Document all issues and complaints via case management system and standard operating procedures.
Technical Communications and Manuals:
- Create and publish technical service bulletins and alerts
- Perform technical publication reviews (service manuals, diagnostic manuals, operator’s manuals, etc.)
- Support fault code diagnostic test development and implementation
- Support the development and implementation of technical videos for both training and technical reference
- Document field support visits to address quality and training issues
Technical Training Support:
- Provide subject matter input for technical training development (eLearning, hands-on training, customer training packages, webinars)
- Conduct and support hands-on technical training events (factory training)
- Support Technical Assistance Center (TAC), Customer Contact Center,and inter-departmental events (schools, seminars) by providing technical support and presence as a subject matter expert.
New Product Development:
- Actively interface with internal cross functional groups including sales, field operations, engineering, marketing, quality assurance and manufacturing to address technical issues during new product development and aftermarket support.
- Support new product development teams to ensure that product service issues and design for serviceability (DFS) needs are listened to and acted upon.
- Ensure all service assets and training are completed for product release
- Support, advocate and provide a strong customer orientation. Build strong relationships with distributor personnel such as service technicians, shop foremen, service managers, sales representatives and end-user customers.
- Conduct field support visits to support quality issues and escalated product issues
- Review and adjudicate after warranty support and policy exception requests
- Analyze product complaints/case data/warranty data in order to identify trends and issues and recommend countermeasure action(s).
- Drive corrective action within product teams in prioritizing issues and creating and executing resolution plans.
- Pursue and maintain technical knowledge in areas such as M2M, GPS, wireless, hybrid, and other technologies, along with an in-depth understanding of how these technologies interact with Toro equipment.
- Support on-going process and lean improvements to deliver higher value to internal and external customers.
- Other assigned tasks as necessary.
- Directly impacts customer care and organizational excellence at the distributor level in meeting the Customer Satisfaction Index with a rating of more than 9.0 (CSI 9+) along with Fix it Right the First Time, Meet Promise Date, Turnaround Time and Defects Per Unit (DPU) metrics.
- Close interaction with the business channel along with internal stakeholders such as Customer Care, Training, Engineering, Marketing, Sales, Manufacturing, Sourcing and others. Empowered to make support decisions that result in equitable solutions for the channel and internal stakeholders.
- Accountable for TAC service and quality metrics/goals.
- Travel as required which ranges from 20-60% along with appropriate expense reporting duties.
- Associate’s/Technical degree in automotive, heavy equipment/truck technology, robotics, or electronics required. Bachelor’s degree in Engineering preferred.
- Two plus+ years related work experience required, to include machine electronics and electronic drives, with robotics and hydraulics experience preferred.
- Must possess a high degree of technical aptitude in technologies such as: electrical, electronic control systems, CAN, hydraulics, diesel and gasoline engines, drivetrain systems, hybrid technology, global positioning systems and augmented/virtual reality (AR/VR).
- Customer support experience necessary with a proven ability to listen and empathize appropriately with customers as well as communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals.
- Experience in a dealer/distributor environment preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Ability to build strong relationships with customers and peers
- Time management, multi-tasking and organizational skills/experience required. Must have the ability to work in a fast paced, high demand problem solving environment with the ability to meet and/or negotiate timelines as necessary.
- Proficient at reading blueprints and electrical/hydraulic schematics.
- Experience in the areas of residential or commercial mowing/snow equipment is preferred.
- Proficient in use of computer applications, including Microsoft Office software suite.
- Multi-lingual skills preferred.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.