POSITION TITLE: Office Assistant (Job #2021-38)
DEPARTMENT: Professional Practice, Research and Organizing
SUPERVISOR: Professional Practice, Research and Organizing Manager
LOCATION: St. Paul Office
HOURS/STATUS: Full Time/Non-exempt
EMPLOYEE GROUP: United Staff of Minnesota (USM)
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: 180 Days
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Professional Practice, Research and Organizing manager, the Office Assistant provides a full range of administrative and office support services to the Education Minnesota Professional Practice, Research and Organizing Department. This position provides direct support to professional staff within the department as well as program coordination instrumental in supporting organizing work in locals throughout the state, and their significance to the mission of Education Minnesota.
Education Minnesota is a member-led labor union that has identified racial equity and social justice as primary organizational goals. All staff are expected to participate—individually and collectively—in ongoing training, discussions, and activities to advance these goals. Must also demonstrate a commitment to creating an inclusive space for members and staff, extending this culture of equity and inclusion into the work.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide administrative and secretarial support to department staff of the Education Minnesota Foundation, Foundation Board, Racial Equity and Community Organizers, and committees as assigned.
- Support efforts to achieve organizational goals, which includes but is not limited to, drafting content; developing, maintaining, and generating member lists; and providing back-end support for digital and traditional communication, and contribute to team and collaborative environment.
- Research and preparation of reports, presentations and materials to support the initiatives of the department. These include but are not limited to: tabulating surveys, compiling evaluations, reports, attending and recording meeting minutes when necessary, and coordinating the design, printing and mailing of various projects.
- Provide administrative support in the coordination of Education Minnesota events or programs as assigned.
- Maintain multiple databases and digital platforms.
- Assist with overall organization and day-to-day functions of the department.
- Participate in projects, duties, and other administrative tasks assigned by management
- Other duties of a like or similar nature and the associated responsibilities as assigned by the department manager.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to coordinate and administer functions of an office environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Access, Excel, Word, Power Point, Google Workplace software.
- Proficiency in setting up and assisting with Web meeting technology and social media platforms.
- Familiarity or ability to learn texting platforms such as Hustle and Empower
- Ability to manage and monitor agendas, appointments and expense reports.
- Ability to foster and maintain effective working relationships with Education Minnesota members, staff, associates, affiliates, and the general public.
- Good communication, telephone, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to carry out directives, follow through on projects, administer programs, and make decisions as required.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, anticipate program needs and work independently in accomplishing objectives, goals, and meeting numerous deadlines.
- Good record keeping, spelling, grammar, and reading skills.
- Ability to recognize and respond to inequities, biases and demonstrate an individual commitment to understanding how equity and inequity operate in organizations and societies
- HS diploma or equivalent
- Three (3) years related work experience
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (vaccination card). If you have a medical exemption you will be asked to provide a written waiver from your medical provider. If you have a religious objections you will be asked to provide documentation stating your religious objection.
- One (1) year experience working for a foundation.
- Associate’s degree in business or related field preferred.
- Prior work experience working with or on behalf of a unionized workforce.
Maintain confidential information related to the organization, members and potential members, and staff.
MACHINES AND/OR TOOLS OPERATED:
- Personal computer
- Word processing, spreadsheet and database software
- Internet and browser software
Work is in a general office environment. Employee is required to: talk and hear; frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically, lift and carry up to 5 pounds; occasionally lift up to 25 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
Willingness to work overtime (including nights and weekends) as needed.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the following is provided: the position requires use of clear and articulate speech; ability to read and comprehend written and oral directions; ability to effectively deal with tight deadlines; sitting for long periods, stooping, bending, reaching and standing for long periods; repetitive movement with hands and wrists; use of computer keyboard; and carrying materials (consistently up to 10 lb. and occasionally up to 50 lb.).
POSTING DEADLINE: For best consideration, apply online; include a resume, by 11:59 PM on Friday, October 15, 2021.