Product Safety Engineer ( Ditch Witch)
Product Safety Engineer – Construction Division
Serves in a consultative capacity on construction equipment product safety and product qualification activities to ensure compliance with domestic and international product safety and regulatory requirements for the company’s product designs. Assists in the development of TTC product safety policies and procedures. Represents company on pertinent domestic and international technical societies and standards organizations committees. Serves in a consultative capacity to the Legal Department regarding worldwide response to product compliance and injury incidents. Trains construction division staff on usage of systems and safety standards and regulatory compliance for all products.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advises construction division product development teams on product safety and regulatory worldwide compliance. Collaborative activities include:
- Evaluates and interprets U.S. and International product safety and regulatory standards to ensure divisional products meet all standards required for the markets they are sold into.
- Tracks safety and regulatory compliance status of products and ensures that construction division teams meet their safety and regulatory compliance requirements prior to production and through product shipment release.
- Provides safety and regulatory related design guidance for product development teams.
- Evaluates updates to current standards and implements new requirements to existing and new products.
- Assists teams with European Union Risk Assessments.
- Reviews all divisional operators’ manuals for safety messaging and compliance with standards.
- Reviews and assists in development of all safety and regulatory decals.
- Lead or assist in coordinating proactive safety reviews of all products.
- Lead and coordinate action plans for resolving identified safety issues in a timely manner.
- As appropriate, works with third-party certification bodies and third-party consultants to obtain global certifications.
- Communicates and educates construction division engineering, product evaluation, and technical publications on standards changes and works with teams on product changes to ensure compliant product.
- Verifies safety and regulatory compliance documentation.
- Construction and storage of technical files
- European Union compliance documents
- Other global certifications as applicable
- Represents company by being an active member on Domestic and International standards development organizations committees for construction division products.
- Serves as liaison to the Legal Department and works collaboratively with Legal on safety and regulatory compliance topics.
- Supports Legal on accident investigations.
- Supports Legal on claims resolution and claims in litigation.
- Works collaboratively with Legal on developing internal safety policies and practices and in developing new industry safety and regulatory standards.
- Collaborates with other product safety engineers across the company. Participates on relevant internal boards and specialization groups.
- Supports compliance to the Corporate Product Safety Policy and related guidelines.
- Participates in applicable specialization group activities.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an ABET, or equivalent, accredited university in Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics, or Agricultural Engineering, or closely related engineering field.
Minimum five (5) years’ experience. Professional registration is a plus.
Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in standards development, auditing, or compliance in a manufacturing environment.
Previous experience in product safety and regulatory compliance activities and standards. Demonstrated capability to create and analyze portions of product design. Has demonstrated a high level of productivity and competency in the execution of duties.
Has demonstrated competency in creativity, productivity, and decision making, and problem resolution through successful completion of projects.
Ability to investigate and define strategies to ensure cost-effective, efficient, low-risk project execution.
Excellent communication skills, ability to interact with all levels of personnel internally and externally, as well as with various groups, business functions and governmental agencies. Able to effectively convey proposed strategies and legal requirements to senior-level management.
Knowledge of EMC, wireless and safety compliance, regulatory and testing requirements is desirable.
International experience and experience in international standards writing capacity is a plus.
Must be able to coordinate or supervise work of consultants/contract personnel.
Other Job-Related Components:
Travel to test sites, distributors, customers, vendors, manufacturing facilities, standards meetings, and others as required (10-15%)
Performs miscellaneous duties as requested.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.