Principal Engineer Design-Electrical/Mechatronics
Join an exciting team working to advance electrified, automated, and smart connected products within Toro’s Residential and Landscape Contractor division. This position will play a key role in defining electric vehicle systems architectures, designing electromechanical subsystems, and evaluating key electrical components.
At The Toro Company's corporate headquarters in Bloomington, Minnesota we pride ourselves in being an industry leader for outdoor environment products. Our teams at this location take pride in being on cutting edge of creating innovative products while partnering with world-class employees that bring passion to their everyday work. This is a location that truly values its employees with upward career mobility and advancement opportunities.
We invite you to become part of our team!
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads design and/or analysis project efforts:
- Responsible for designing electromechanical systems and subsystems for production machines. Design responsibilities include but are not limited to: product cost, timing, durability, safety, performance, manufacturability, and quality.
- Investigates and develops critical electrical components such as motors, actuators, chargers, sensors, switches, and other components to meet end-product specifications.
- Develops specifications and appropriate documentation at a systems-level.
- Oversees the layout and detail design accomplished by members of the engineering project team, ensuring that technical requirements packages and other documentation are completed properly.
- Responsible for the analysis, or oversight of the analysis, of proposed engineering designs using calculations, testing, data acquisition and processing, computer simulation methods or other techniques as needed.
- Procures and coordinates the efforts of outside consultants, labs, suppliers, etc. needed to accomplish the design or other objectives of the project.
- Works with Legal on potential patent activities and liability avoidance.
- Develops products to meet appropriate agency requirements and works with those agencies to obtain approval.
- Plans and executes engineering development on his/her initiative with supervisor approval:
- Works with engineering management in developing product proposals to satisfy specific market requirements.
- Helps to establish overall product specifications, features, design features, design objectives and schedules.
- Conducts feasibility studies to reveal idea practicality and potential design or program issues.
- Assists the Test department in developing and following test plans.
- Coordinates engineering activity during the feasibility, development, and implementation phases.
- Works with project leader or acts as project leader when required during the concept and the production phases of a program.
- Assigns specific tasks and duties to the engineering team and empowers the team as needed to accomplish department goals.
- Informs and updates project team members, engineering management and directors on project status and plan as needed.
- Works with Marketing, Sales, Management, Shop, Drafting, Test, Research, Manufacturing, Purchasing and Accounting as required by the project.
- Works to identify emerging technologies and participates in long-range product planning initiatives.
- May supervise work activities of engineers, designers and draftspersons assigned to the project.
- Assists in training other employees in technical areas.
- Keeps abreast of new development, materials, competitive products, etc. Assist in field days, sales and service meetings.
- Applies “Total Quality” principles in the daily performance of the job.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Skillfully collaborates with cross functional teams, promote big picture thinking.
- Communicates with highly competent written and verbal communication skills
- Travels to test-sites, distributors, customers, vendors, manufacturing facilities, global partners and others as required.
- Directs work of assigned support personnel.
- Design decisions significantly affect sales, warranty, customer satisfaction; component failures may result in liability lawsuits.
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or Mechatronics Engineering from an ABET accredited university required.
- Minimum 8+ years of product development experience.
- Experience with Li-ion battery development and machine integration.
- Experience with battery charging systems.
- Experience working with NRTL’s to achieve regulatory approvals highly preferred.
- Ability to communicate clearly and direct the work of drafters and designers as needed.
- Ability to analyze and troubleshoot vehicle electrical systems using machine schematics, meters, oscilloscopes, and data acquisition equipment.
- Motor control experience preferred.
- Experience with Matlab/Simulink, NI LabVIEW, or other model-based design tools preferred.
- Experience with CAN or similar communication protocols highly preferred.
- Ability to lead teams to create and analyze components, create system level requirements, and drive complete product design.
- Passionate about product development, from concept through production.