Information Technology (IT) Administrator
POSITION TITLE: Information Technology (IT) Administrator
JOB NUMBER: 2021-41
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: CFO
EMPLOYEE GROUP: Associate Executive Staff
LOCATION: St. Paul
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: Six (6) months
FLSA/GRADE LEVEL: Exempt
Under the direction of the CFO, the IT Administrator is responsible for the oversight and maintenance of all aspects of the organization’s computer infrastructure. This includes maintaining networks, servers, security programs, VoIP phone system, mobile devices, and systems, including cloud-based systems. The IT Administrator manages the upgrade and installation of new hardware and software, performs troubleshooting to address any problems with computer systems, and assesses viruses and other potential technological threats to the company. The IT Administrator monitors the use of email, creates user accounts and changes passwords. The IT Administrator makes suggestions for improvements to computer systems, backup data and handles disaster recovery plans.
Education Minnesota is a member-led labor union that has identified racial equity and social justice as primary organizational goals. All staff are expected to participate—individually and collectively—in ongoing training, discussions, and activities to advance these goals.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support technology systems including IT infrastructure, desktop computers, mobile devices, routers, switches, Wi-Fi, firewall, spam filter, software deployments, security patches, and phone system.
- Maintain network systems ensuring consistent reliability and security. Oversee or perform installations, upgrades and troubleshooting of enterprise network. (LAN/WAN/MAN/VPN/VoIP/Internet)
- Maintain up-to-date Active Directory system, including Group Policies, Users, Computers, and Groups. Ensure Azure AD Synchronization of Users and Groups.
- Assign and remove software licensing, including o365 licensing, for users.
- Good working knowledge of current Microsoft products including installation, configuration, and troubleshooting. This includes the ability to load and configure standard and customized application packages.
- Research new technology and changes to improve technological systems, and implement or recommend its implementation.
- Coordinate setup and troubleshoot individual workstations experiencing configuration management problems with applications.
- Develop and maintain productive and supportive working relationships with the Education Minnesota officers, staff, and local leaders in our offices to insure effective development of computer related projects.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on committees representing the department or organization’s IT department.
- Act as a key technical liaison between computer systems users, vendors, and IT.
- Research and purchase all Education Minnesota approved hardware and software.
- Supervise the work of the Information Technology Department and other related positions, as assigned, including but not limited to assigning tasks, developing procedures, maintaining records, etc.
- Provides end-user instruction and training, including on-boarding new hires with IT equipment and tools.
- Make resources available for education and training.
- Work with staff to create training on new technology and Education Minnesota IT developed programs as needed.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent knowledge of PC and desktop hardware:
- Excellent knowledge of PC internal components;
- Hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience;
- Extensive equipment support experience;
- Advanced knowledge of current Microsoft operating systems, security protocols and standards.
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation and OEM guides;
- Ability to learn and use online meeting platforms;
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment;
- Ability to conduct research into PC and software issues and products as required;
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language;
- Self-motivated and directed;
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Team-oriented and skilled in working within a collaborative environment;
- Strong customer service orientation; and
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or networking (or equivalent)
- Four (4) years related work experience
- Experience with Microsoft Cloud-based systems
- Experience with Microsoft OS and NOS
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (vaccination card). If you have a medical exemption you will be asked to provide a written waiver from your medical provider. If you have a religious objection you will be asked to provide documentation stating your religious objection.
- Experience managing or leading a team
- Experience working in public education or a union environment
- Experience providing training to end users on new software, platform releases and hardware
- Microsoft certification or other applicable certification
Maintain confidential information related to staff, the organization, and related data for members
MACHINES AND/OR TOOLS OPERATED:
- Personal computer
- Word processing, spreadsheet and database software
- Internet and browser software
Work is in a general office environment. Employee may be required to: talk and hear; frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically, lift and carry up to 20 pounds; occasionally lift up to 75 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
Willingness to work nights and weekends as needed.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications; merit and business need with preference given to people of color.
POSTING DEADLINE: For consideration, apply online and include a resume no later than 11:59 PM of Thursday, November 18, 2021.