In today's world, Guests' technologies expectations are very, very high. When they login to Target.com, they expect it to be available, performant, and simply work. When they choose the drive-up fulfillment option, they expect their order to be available for pickup, the same day, in a couple hours. These and nearly every guest interaction that enables Target to be a $100B+ retailer is powered by Cloud and Compute's platforms.
To meet these expectations, our platforms must be ubiquitous, reliable, performant, and easy for engineers to use. Due to Target's sheer size, existing solutions are often not the right ones for us. As a result, our platforms are purpose-built, in-house, by caring, talented, and diverse teams.
Our platforms provide the compute, storage, deployment, monitoring, telemetry, cloud, hardware, IoT, streaming, and data science capabilities for all of Target.
Sound interesting? We want to meet you.
Here's a smattering of approaches important to us, and the technologies we use:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core to our culture.
- Meeting the reliability and performance commitments made to our customers are the most important part of our job.
- Our engineering teams are empowered to choose the right technology to solve the problem. Some common technologies currently in use include: Golang, Java/Groovy/Kotlin, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, GitHub, Artifactory, the elastic stack, InfluxDB, Grafana, Postgres, Cassandra, Mongo, React, the Google Cloud Platform and Azure. (We focus on problem solving. Technology can be learned and the skills can be acquired over time.)
- Everything we do is "as-code" in version control. We don't like clicking buttons or doing things manually.
- We have a collaborative pull-request process, so you'll always have a way to thumbs up or down things you catch.
- Nearly everything should have test cases and go through a continuous integration/continuous deployment process.
Target's Cloud and Compute Team Wants Your Help To Design and Implement:
- APIs, microservices, and libraries that enable scalability, reliability and make it super simple for customers to consume our offerings.
- Observable systems to deeply understand how customers experience your product.
- Products that work seamlessly across multiple clouds (public and on-prem) and distributed environments (aka 1800+ stores and 50+ warehouses).
- Seamlessly integrate products into platform with a delightful user experience to make Target the best place in retail to write and deliver software.
- Create new and contribute to existing open-source projects.
- Evangelize an Agile mindset within Target.
- Continuously learn and improve #allthethings.
Open Engineering Opportunities
We have several open positions across the Cloud and Compute engineering teams. They vary across engineering level/experience, technology focus, or product area. If you are interested in learning more, contact us or apply to start a conversation.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS with Experiences In the Following...
- Building and deploying scalable APIs and microservices.
- Utilizing version control products, preferably with Git.
- With Linux or Unix operating systems including Unix shell and scripting.
- Working in an agile environment.
- Instrumenting products with telemetry to make them observable.
- Strong sense of ownership and the ability to work with a limited set of requirements with the team.
- Previous contributions to open-source projects.
- Has in-depth knowledge of technical approaches to build, test, and debug problems as required by domain.
- Maintains technical knowledge within areas of expertise.
- Stays current with new and evolving technologies.
This position may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target's needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location. A Full-Time Remote work arrangement means the team member works full-time from home or an alternate location that's not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada residents is $81,400 to $146,500 per year. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Find competitive benefits from financial and education to well-being and beyond. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.