Principal Systems Engineer
The Systems Engineer undertakes professional engineering work in conjunction with other project team members to ensure that products and systems are efficiently developed and perform as intended to meet customer, functional safety, and business requirements. The Systems Engineer works in a transdisciplinary manner to ensure that all elements of the system will perform as intended together and must analyze, specify, design, verify, and validate the system to ensure that its functional, interface, performance, physical and other quality characteristics, and cost are balanced to meet the needs of the system stakeholders.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contribute to the systems engineering effort for various projects throughout the product or system lifecycle, including:
- user needs analysis and requirements definition,
- architecture and design definition and analysis,
- requirements management and traceability,
- system implementation,
- system integration,
- test requirements (verification and validation),
- configuration and documentation, and
- system support definition.
- Work with functional safety team to develop novel systems that meet the requirements of global safety standards (e.g. ISO 13849)
- Follow company procedures and customer requirements and use a systems engineering approach and techniques to plan and execute engineering activities to meet cost, quality, and schedule objectives.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively and professionally with systems/hardware/software design functions, other project team members, customers, sub-contractors, and suppliers with a focus on identifying and mitigating risks and resolving technical problems that cross functional domain areas of hardware and software.
- Produce timely project and support deliverables including technical documentation of high quality that is clear and concise with content that is sufficient to meet both project and future support needs while complying with both company and customer requirements.
- Contribute to the development of new design approaches, techniques and technologies as well as process and quality improvements to support continual improvement.
- Collaborate with others to deliver customer-valued innovation. Participate in both formal and informal Voice-of-Customer opportunities by interacting with customers.
- Work with geographically dispersed teams.
- Collaborate and engage across all software teams and Centers of Excellence throughout the organization to build a culture of design & technology sharing, code sharing, insourcing, reusable platforms, and standardized tools & processes .
- Provide "hands on" technical support on an as needed basis.
- Conduct feasibility studies as needed to determine idea practicality, potential problems, and specific revisions.
- Ensure requirements / specifications are adequately defined for projects. Assures product & software quality, reliable, serviceability, safety, cost and performance objectives for the design are established and met.
- Review, develop, and improve engineering development processes.
- Be an engaged participant in strategic planning and multi-generation product planning meetings with the business units. Collaborate with others to develop an enterprise technology and product roadmap for the company, and assist the divisions in applying and reusing system technology elements.
- Collaborate with others divisions in the identification and selection of technology partners, production suppliers, resource firms, and manage associated relationships on behalf of the company.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Located at The Toro Company’s worldwide headquarters in Bloomington, Minnesota.
- Frequent engagement with divisional management teams and product development teams, to ensure alignment with strategic priorities and to facilitate effective project transitions.
- Collaboration with other members of development teams, including electrical, embedded software, and mechanical engineers.
- Coordination, as required, with external development partners.
- Limited travel, up to 10% of the time, to corporate offices, test sites, customer locations, supplier/partner facilities, and select industry events.
- Familiarity with systems engineering in the engineering design and development of systems/products to meet requirements involving elements such as System Safety, Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, Deployability, Transportability, Human Factors, Security and Privacy.
- Familiarity with relevant industry functional safety standards (ISO 13849, IEC 61508, IEC 60730, IEC 60335, or similar).
- Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Science degree with 8+ years applicable work experience. Masters degree or professional registration preferred.
- Experience with embedded system development in a safety context.
- Demonstrated experience as a systems engineer throughout the entire systems development process, including requirements capture, design, decomposition, integration, and verification/validation, as well as transition to production.
- Demonstrated proficiency in systems engineering.
- Formal training in systems engineering and configuration management.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.