- Collaborates to effectively implement long term cost control strategies to fit specific strategic supply partnerships or commodities.
- Support assigned vendors/suppliers with Toro requirements on business compliance and regulations (Country of Origin, CTPAT, EDI, NAFTA, RoHS etc.)
- Understand the products manufactured in terms of volume, nature of demand, seasonality, product composition, long lead-time items, suppliers and their locations, transportation time/cost of supplied components etc.
- Manage the relationship and performance of assigned suppliers in coordination with commodity manager and supplier quality engineer.
- Analyze quote packages from suppliers using the TCO model with the support of the commodity team to select the appropriate supplier.
- Reconcile the purchase price variance on monthly basis between projected and actual spend. Identify root cause for variances and improve controls to minimize those.
- Implement productivity improvement projects for assigned commodity working in conjunction with the commodity manager.
- Implement projects aimed at rationalizing supply base and consolidating spend while managing risk.
- Escalate expedites at appropriate level track progress on expedites and communicate progress to operations.
- Support manufacturing plants. Improve delivery performance of the supply base. Reduce lead time for assigned suppliers using lean methods. Support implementation of inventory management systems like VMI (Vendor Manager Inventory) & Kanban in coordination with manufacturing plants.
- Manage negotiations with small-spend suppliers, support Commodity Manager in negotiations with high-spend vendors, and recover warranty and rework costs from suppliers.
- As a key member of the (SCT) Strategic Commodity Team, coordinate periodic meetings. These meetings are the framework to formulate commodity strategies and to track progress in implementation of those strategies.
- Support commodity manager in effective risk management.
- Resolve invoice discrepancies and authorize payment on invoice holds as appropriate.
- Provide information to production buyers in such a way that production buyers can perform transactions effectively and responsively.
- Manage Deviation from Specification (DFS) requests for suppliers with support of Operations Buyers and Supplier Quality Engineers as needed.
- Process Engineering Changes
- All other tasks and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate technical or business-related field
- Minimum of three (3) years of purchasing experience
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word, required, experience with SAP preferred
- Certification through ISM or APICS preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required for efficient and effective customer interaction (internal and external)
- Proven ability to analyze situations, accurately take effective actions, and maintain composure during high stress situations
- Capacity to work independently as well as within a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Understanding of manufacturing processes, cost drives, and market dynamics
- Experience with plastics or steel a plus.
Other Job-Related Components:
- Willingness to travel up to 15% of total time, with ability to operate a vehicle
- Extended use of a personal computer
- Office environment as it pertains to lighting, temperature, and noise level with occasional trips to manufacturing lines.
- Rapidly changing workloads and priorities, frequently with multiple requests from a variety of supervisors and managers
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.