Utility Billing Technician II
Status: Full-time regular position, non-exempt
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Pay: $28.13 to $32.45 per hour (anticipated 2022 rates, with City Council Budget Approval)
Location: City Center
Hours: Standard business hours (8am-4:30pm), may vary based on business need
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Finance Supervisor
The Finance Division supports responsible management of the City’s resources by recommending financial policies, strategies and decisions necessary to maintain a healthy financial condition. Finance is responsible for operating and capital budgets, investments, debt financings, general financial analysis, financial reporting, operation of the general accounting and utility billing.
The Utility Billing Technician supports the Finance Division to ensure the City is collecting utility revenue efficiently by processing, reviewing, receiving, and reconciling utility information. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
1) Verifies completion of meter repairs; coordinates scheduled dates for consistent monthly/quarterly reading of meters based on bill dates; maintains meter and remote inventory for utility billing; analyzes and processes all complete meter change outs; assigns task to water treatment plant to send out correspondence or check equipment on site.
2) Executes steps to set up new construction for commercial or multiple residential dwellings for billings by using meter installation information; verifies addresses and property identification numbers.
3) Gathers data from various departments and ensures proper calculations are attached to accounts for specific fees based on number of units/type of property characteristics.
4) Generates and reviews bills in the UB system by analyzing preliminary reports with actual readings; reconciling, and balancing all monthly activity; running estimates, attaching fees for non-compliance and meter turn on/off; adjusting customer’s bill appropriately within city code regulations; generating auto deposits, and recurring credit card charges.
5) Provides excellent customer service both in-person, electronically and on the phone with assistance to customers who have questions or changes to their utility bill or account; maintains credit card industry standards by notifying customers of declined card or invalid expiration date.
6) Maintains system by making weekly updates; updating, verifying and testing rate code changes according to fee resolutions; generating and analyzing winter quarter update reports.
7) Prepares and monitors assessment roll for certification to the county for collection of delinquent utility accounts annually; notifies in writing each customer on levy.
8) Performs administrative support such as balancing and preparing payments for deposit, processing utility payments, reviewing account balances, and scanning bills into the utility billing system, data entry, filing, and opening mail; provides back up to finance assistant.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships
Education: High school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.); one year of specialized/technical training in general office and bookkeeping preferred.
Work Experience: Minimum of three years of experience of general accounting/bookkeeping working in utility billing setting required. Cash handling experience in large billing/payment office required. Three years customer service experience including telephone and in person contact required.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and ten key required; experience with financial software preferred.
Physical Requirements: Working on spreadsheets and using the financial software requires extended use of a keyboard. Work interruptions are frequent.
Working Conditions: Most work is performed in a normal office environment. The job may involve dealing with and calming individuals who are emotionally charged over an issue.
Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Attention to Detail: Able to find errors in work and solve problems; anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy; sets up systems to ensure errors are not repeated.
Accountability: Follows through on commitments; focuses on appropriate tasks throughout the shift; takes responsibilities for actions both as an individual and on behalf of the organization; actions and words are in sync; follows all policies and procedures; maintains confidentiality; is prepared and punctual to all scheduled shifts.
Organization: Ability to coordinate several activities, responsibilities, and tasks simultaneously in a polite and professional manner; prioritizes what needs to get done; keeps things neat and orderly; utilizes tools for efficiency; factors several considerations when planning; establishes methods to ensure routine tasks are completed.
Problem Solving: Uses judgment to solve difficult problems in a timely manner; compares possible options; uses reasoning to explain necessary next steps; looks beyond the obvious; challenges the first answer and seeks alternatives; probes several resources to obtain all relevant information.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Criminal History Check
- Work History and Education Verification
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process prior to their first day of employment.
Apply online at www.edenprairie.org under Employment
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
Post Date: Monday, November 29, 2021
Application Deadline: Thursday, December 15, 2021 at 8:30 AM
Review Applications/Communicate to Candidates: Wednesday, December 22, 2021
First Round Interviews (virtual): December 28, 2021
Final Interviews (in-person): week of January 3, 2022