Manager, Sr. Engineering
- Assure project coordination with Marketing, Sales, Senior Management, Operations, Drafting, Shop, Test, Service, Finance, Legal and International.
- Conduct project team meetings.
- Plan and execute engineering feasibility and product development programs assuring schedules and goals reflect aggressive but obtainable objectives.
- Recognize problems, whether schedule or resource difficulties and initiates corrective action.
- Responsible for control of expenditures on assigned projects.
- Conduct regular design, quality, cost, manufacturability and safety reviews with project team and support functions.
- Perform functions as required by the Toro "Product Development System".
- Work with legal on potential patent activity and any liability cases.
- Assist Test department in developing and following test plans.
- Prepare reports as required providing communication to all levels of the organization.
- Coach and lead subordinates in their own personal development, providing resources and opportunities.
- Supervise and lead human resources to complete approved projects in support of engineering program goals and objectives.
- Conduct performance appraisals and salary reviews in accordance with policy.
- Set and monitor objectives for subordinates.
- Assist in selection, training and discipline of employees.
- Manage assigned resources to complete approved projects in support of goals and objectives.
- Establish product specifications, features, design objectives and schedule.
- Conduct feasibility studies as needed to reveal idea practicality, potential problems and specific revisions.
- Create or generate marketable ideas for new and revised products.
- Assure quality, reliable, serviceability, safety, cost and performance objectives for the design are established and met.
- Work with vendors to insure selection of quality components.
- Learn and implement new technologies to improve the product development process.
- Provide technical support to Purchasing and Operations to evaluate and select vendor partnerships.
- Apply value analysis techniques to products and processes for improvement.
- Keep abreast of new design, manufacturing and material developments.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead current product support activities as assigned.
- Support company Quality Policy by working within the documented Quality System. Participate in quality initiatives and training as needed.
- Perform miscellaneous duties as may be requested.
- BSME or equivalent
- Ten to fifteen years (three plus years supervision)
- Professional registration preferred.
Other Job-Related Components:
- Controls one or more engineering program budgets ranging from $25,000 to $300,000 (fiscal year).
- Directly supervises up to twenty professional employees.
- May provide "hands on" technical support on a as needed basis.