Director of Administration
1 day left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
DIRECTOR OF ADMINISTRATION
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified applicants
Date Posted: 12/29/2021
Closing Date: 01/17/2022
M2 Salary Range: $41.45 - $68.93/hourly; $86,547 - $143,925/annually
The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison — one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices and recently recognized as a Star Tribune 2021 Top Workplace — has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity, safety, and respect. We are a dynamic group of dedicated professionals who could all work elsewhere but choose public service as a calling, and we are actively building an internal culture that supports that calling.
The Office is seeking an experienced Director of Administration to support the mission of the Office by providing professional management of and guidance in the areas of finance and accounting, payroll, client billing and reporting, and Information Technology (IT).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Maintain comprehensive oversight of an approximately $40 million/year operating budget.
- Supervise Finance and the Manager of IT.
- Oversee stewardship of financial and other resources in compliance with contracts and a variety of state and federal laws or policies.
- Monitor the Office’s system of internal controls and make adjustments to training and/or assignments to help ensure the office runs smoothly.
- Ensure client billing and reporting complies with statutory and contractual requirements.
- Revise or develop administrative policies, procedures, and training to accomplish the above.
- Develop and refine the Information Technology plan in consultation with the Director of IT, the Technology Committee, and executive leadership.
- Provide necessary support and direction to the Manager of IT to implement the Information Technology plan.
To be considered for this position, your resume must reflect the following minimum qualifications:
- A minimum of three years of administrative management experience which includes a broad range of the functional areas listed above.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Public Administration, Public Policy, or related field.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Management of complex, cross-functional projects - ideally including Information Technology components.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and experience interpreting and applying these principles.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word, or other equivalent software.
- Proficiency using financial databases, software, or systems.
- Excellent interpersonal and human relations skills necessary to establish and maintain effective working and collaborative relationships with internal and external customers, direct reports, and colleagues.
- Ability to communicate and present data to a variety of audiences in engaging ways in order to further the audiences’ understanding of complex information and help drive decisions.
- Attention to detail, and the ability to thoroughly review and present accurate information and accurately process financial transactions.
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities in the principles of management and supervision to effectively hire, lead, motivate, professionally develop, evaluate, discipline, reward, manage, assign work to, and foster teamwork in direct reports.
- Ability to lead and manage change.
- Commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Public Administration, Public Policy, or related field.
- Considerable knowledge of state government finances, budgeting, financial management, auditing and reporting requirements, and federal and state budget structures or similar experience in a non-profit or law office.
- Knowledge of the State of Minnesota’s legislative process, including fiscal notes.
- Experience interpreting and applying accounting principles and standards to local, state, or federal governments.
- Experience with the State’s Accounting and Procurement System (SWIFT).
- Experience with the state’s budgeting and fiscal notes systems (BPAS, FNTS).
- Experience with the State’s Human Resources and Payroll System (SEMA4).
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Public service with this office may qualify applicants to have part of their student loans forgiven under a federal student loan forgiveness program for state government employees. (Visit https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.)
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence, and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply online through the State of Minnesota Careers website, which is the State’s official application and hiring site. The deadline for applications is January 17, 2022.
- Go to www.mn.gov/careers;
- Apply for posting number 51641
If you have questions, contact Sarah Spence-Koivisto at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651/757-1050.