Building Official / Building Inspections Manager
Status: Full-time regular position, exempt
Salary: $113,755 to $136,531
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Location: City Center
Hours: Standard business hours (8am–5pm), varies based on business need
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Fire Chief
Building Inspections Division
The Building Inspection Division ensures buildings are constructed safely and comply with the State of Minnesota and local building and fire codes. The Division reviews plans, conducts on-site inspections, issues permits, approves occupancy and inspects large incident and/or disaster scenes.
The Building Inspections Manager (Building Official) is responsible for directing the enforcement of building codes within the City of Eden Prairie so as to safeguard life, limb, health, and property. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Responsible for the enforcement of the building code in the City of Eden Prairie including management, supervision, and administration of the Building Inspections Division which includes employee relations; setting short and long term goals, providing effective feedback, and writing reviews; ensures the department requirements and expectations are met or exceeded.
- Reviews preliminary plans for concept approval, reviews commercial and residential plans for code compliance, reviews new products and engineered designs for code compliance.
- Provides creative problem solving that creates win-win solutions by facilitating the resolution of conflicts that arise from implementation of duties and those of the inspectors in enforcement of the building codes, determines if building are approved for occupancy.
- Coordinates the permit process and associated work of the inspections division with other departments, determines inspections policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with multiple departments with the electronic plan review process and ongoing evaluation; provides specific oversight, review, and maintenance for the Division in this area.
- Determines through the analysis of data, efficient and effective utilization of staff and resources both in the short and long term; provides input to budget process including the establishment of fees.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: Associates Degree in Building Inspection Technology or related field required; Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture or related field preferred; must be a Minnesota State Licensed Building Official.
Work Experience: Five years of progressive experience in inspections required; five years of management experience required; five years of experience as a licensed building official required.
Physical Requirements: Physical effort is light for the majority of work with lifting or carrying limited to 25 pounds intermittently. There is a need to make presentations, which involves public speaking in front of City leaders. Between 15% and 45% of the time there is pressure associated with a project or activity deadline. Report preparation and writing at times requires extended use of a keyboard. Work interruptions are frequent.
Working Conditions: Most work is performed in a normal office environment. Occasional driving or riding is required to perform inspections, field visits or attend meetings. The job involves dispute resolution and dealing with and calming individuals who are emotionally charged over an issue.
Position Specific Expectations
Business Acumen: Understands competition within a private marketplace; develops effective business strategies to maximize service or value to customers by minimizing negative impact of code enforcement.
Building Code: Familiarity with and functional working knowledge of the Minnesota State Building Code.
Communication: Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today and about possibilities; can inspire and motivate others; provides direct, complete, actionable and positive feedback to others; able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect.
Motivating Others: Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; makes each individual’s work feel important; is someone people like working for and with; able to motivate direct reports, project members and a team; invites input and encourages contribution; empowers others; effectively delegates by sharing responsibilities and accountability.
Negotiation: Can negotiate skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups; can settle differences through promoting inclusion and developing strong relationships; can be both, direct and forceful as well as diplomatic; gains trust quickly of other parties to the negotiations; has a good sense of timing.
Legal Expertise: Displays an in depth understanding of specific legal areas; routinely guides others to make lawful decisions.
Project Management: Looks ahead to the future; identifies appropriate objectives and timelines; involves appropriate stakeholders; continuously monitors project and adapts scope as appropriate; measures results and analyzes outcome; follows through on commitments.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Leadership Evaluation
- Professional Reference Checks
- Criminal History Check
- Education and work history verification
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
Interested candidates may apply at www.edenprairie.org under “employment opportunities” by the application deadline.
Post Date: January 3, 2022
Application Deadline: Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 8:30 a.m.
Review Applications/Communicate to Candidates: By January 21, 2022
First Round Interviews: week of January 24, 2022
Second Round Interviews: week of January 31, 2022
Pre-Employment Process: week of February 7, 2022
Anticipated Start Date: March 14, 2022