Water Resources Coordinator
Status: Full-time regular position, exempt
Pay: $74,152 to $88,941 annually (DOQ)
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Location: City Center
Hours: Standard business hours (8am-4:30pm), may vary based on business need
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Water Resources Engineer
Public Works Department
The Public Works Department is comprised of Engineering, the Water Treatment Plant, Utility Field Operations, Street Maintenance and, Fleet Services. The department is responsible for the environmental management, design, construction, and maintenance of the street, water, wastewater, and stormwater infrastructure systems in the community.
The Water Resources Coordinator interprets, defines, administers, and promotes rules, regulations, goals, and policies relating to water resources. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Administers efforts related to the Local Water Management and Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans by evaluating City policies, strategies and ordinances used to achieve long-term plan objectives.
- Coordinates the City’s NPDES Storm Water Permit program; monitors compliance, develops and promotes related ordinances and policies, and provides assistance on implementation of the capital improvements plan.
- Provides technical support for City projects involving stormwater permitting, wetland mitigation or delineation, lake water quality, shoreland management or other water resource issues; provides technical support to residents, lake associations, contractors and other interested persons on water resource issues; partners with the water resources engineering on small water quality and stormwater projects; works with seasonal staff to assist with water resource initiatives.
- Administers City Code for wetland protection for projects throughout the City and administers the Wetland Conservation Act (WCA) for two of the three watershed districts in the City.
- Administers the City’s Watershed Outlet Monitoring Program, Wetland Health Evaluation Program, Citizens Assisted Monitoring Program, Aquatic Invasive Species program, and other wetland, stream, river and lake management programs.
- Administers and coordinates management of conservation easement areas and the City’s Landscaping Rebate program.
- Coordinates water resource-related education activities, including providing web site content, social media posts and information regarding upcoming education opportunities to the Communications Division; coordinates and develops education programming to meet the NPDES Storm Water Permit requirements as needed.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences, environmental engineering, water resources studies, or related field required. Master’s Degree preferred. BWSR Wetland Delineation and Regulation Course required. Minnesota Wetland Professional Certification or ability to obtain certification within 6 months preferred. Lake Manager or Lake Professional Certification preferred.
Work Experience: Minimum of five years’ experience in water resources planning, engineering plan review, and wetland delineation required. Experience with WCA administration, TMDL implementation, water quality treatment options, construction site inspections, and NPDES Storm Water Permit Program requirements preferred.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel) and knowledge and skills in use of GIS systems required. Knowledge and skills in use of water quantity and quality software (HydroCAD, SWMM, P8, MIDS, BATHTUB, etc.) and Microsoft Access preferred.
Position Specific Expectations
Organization: Ability to coordinate several activities, responsibilities, and tasks simultaneously in a polite and professional manner; prioritizes what needs to get done; keeps things neat and orderly; utilizes tools for efficiency; factors several considerations when planning; establishes methods to ensure routine tasks are completed.
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Composure: Exhibits self-confidence and asserts self appropriately in several different situations; maintains professionalism while under pressure; can handle stress; energized by tough challenges.
Problem Solving: Ability to tackle a problem by using logical, systematic, sequential approach; makes a systematic comparison of two or more alternatives; notices discrepancies and inconsistencies in available information; identifies a set of features, parameters or considerations to take into account in analyzing a situation or making a decision.
Project Management: Looks ahead to the future; identifies appropriate objectives and timelines; involves appropriate stakeholders; continuously monitors project and adapts scope as appropriate; measures results and analyzes outcome; follows through on commitments.
Planning: Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and effectively delegates assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Criminal History Check
- Education and work history verification
- Driver's Check (must have valid driver's license and excellent driving record)
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
City of Eden Prairie Application Process
Application Deadline: January 18, 2022 at 8:30 a.m.
Review Applications/Schedule Interviews: by January 20, 2022
First Round Interviews: January 24, 2022 or January 25, 2022
Final Round Interviews: February 1, 2022
Pre-Employment Process: by week of February 7, 2022
Formal Offer: by February 11, 2022
Anticipated Start Date: March 7, 2021