EDEN PRAIRIE DUTY CREW FIREFIGHTER
STATUS: Duty Crew Firefighter – Eden Prairie Fire Department
HOURLY PAY RATE: Probationary rate of pay is $10.50 per hour; Duty Crew Firefighter rate of pay is $14.63 per hour.
BENEFITS: Eligible for benefits according to the Eden Prairie Fire Department Relief Association bylaws.
LOCATION: All fire stations are located in Eden Prairie, MN
Station1 (14800 Scenic Heights Road); Station 2 (12100 Sunnybrook Road); Station 3 (7350 Eden Prairie Road): Station 4 (17920 Linwood Court)
HOURS: After successfully completing required training: Minimum of 108 hours per quarter of duty-crew shifts; on call 24 hours a day, 7 days per week for general alarm response; regular training sessions and meetings including nights and weekends required
Reporting Relationship: Reports to a Fire Lieutenant
The Eden Prairie Fire Department is comprised of four fire stations and a staff of 99 duty crew firefighters and 10 full-time firefighters who protect and serve Eden Prairie residents. We lead and strive to minimize risk, increase safety, and improve the quality of life in our community through education, code compliance and emergency response which is the mission statement of the Fire Department
The duty crew firefighter serves to promote fire education and prevention throughout the community as well as to provide fire suppression and emergency rescue services as needed. This position is primarily responsible for the following areas of impact:
- Participates in department’s and squad’s work details; makes known to the department’s training division and squad officer any problems at the earliest possible stage.
- Attends all department-training sessions and drills designated as mandatory by the department’s training division.
- Participates in prevention activities and safety education.
- Responds immediately to emergency calls under the close supervision of officers and senior firefighters; performs tasks as directed by an officer on the emergency scene.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be able to respond within 15 minutes to any one of the four Eden Prairie fire stations (measured to or from current residency to fire station).
- Must maintain a valid MN driver’s license (and have excellent driving record).
- Successful completion of Fire 1 and/or Fire 2 preferred.
- Hazardous Materials Operations, EMR and EMT training and certification is preferred.
TRAINING AND SHIFT REQUIREMENTS
- Must attend Eden Prairie Fire Department academy training sessions on Tuesday and Thursday evenings during time period (approximately 12 months). These training sessions typically occur from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM. These trainings will require homework, quizzes, and tests to be completed outside of class time.
- Successfully pass Fire I, Hazardous Materials Operations, Fire II, and EMR (Emergency Medical Response). Fire 1 will be in fall and early winter of 2020, Hazardous Material Operation and Fire II will be winter/spring of 2021 and EMR is taken in early spring of 2021. All Eden Prairie Duty Crew Firefighter Recruits must successfully pass the college-level Fire I, II, and HMO courses and state certifications, as well as EMR in order to become an Eden Prairie Duty Crew Firefighter.
- Successfully pass FAO (Fire Apparatus Operator) class and requirements within first four years on the Eden Prairie Fire Department.
- After initial training, must meet department training requirements for training sessions on Thursday for the duration of firefighter career. These training sessions typically occur from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM or 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM.
- After successfully completing required training, must work a minimum of 108 duty crew shift hours per quarter. Shifts are scheduled for the upcoming month and are based upon seniority. Typical available shifts occur on weekdays from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM, 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM, 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM or 5:00 AM to 8:00 AM. Available weekend shifts are 5:00 AM to 11:00 AM, 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM, 5:00 PM to 11:00 PM and 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORKING CONDITIONS
Work involves frequent calls to emergency situations. There is regular exposure to very disagreeable working conditions such as fumes, fire, smoke, extreme weather conditions including ice, snow, extreme high and low temperatures, humidity, rain, dirt, mud. The work involves exposure to hazardous conditions such as toxic chemicals, slippery conditions, working in traffic areas and adverse road conditions. While at emergency scenes, incumbent may have exposure to injury, trauma, blood-borne pathogens, traffic accidents, and visual and emotional trauma. Incumbent is required to take appropriate safety precautions and wear protective equipment which may include a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Incumbents must be able to stand, climb ladders, balance, kneel, stoop, crouch, crawl and reach; to walk or run on uneven surfaces; and to drag up to 200 pounds for a distance of 50 feet. There is fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, occasional lifting, pushing or pulling of up to 100 pounds, frequent lifting, pushing or pulling of up to 50 pounds and regular moving of objects up to 20 - 40 pounds. Moderate attention to detail and deadlines is required in completing reports and paperwork. Working 24 hour shifts may be required, where sleep is frequently disrupted.
CITY OF EDEN PRAIRIE VALUES
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
POSITION SPECIFIC EXPECTATIONS
Accountability: Follows through on commitments; focuses on appropriate tasks as assigned or directed; takes responsibilities for actions both as an individual and on behalf of the department; actions and words are in sync; follows all policies and procedures; maintains confidentiality; meets all attendance standards set by the department.
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear, calm, and positive manner especially under emergency conditions; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Composure: Exhibits self-confidence and asserts self appropriately in several different situations; maintains professionalism while under pressure; can handle stress and crisis situations effectively; energized by tough challenges.
Decision Making: Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, experience and judgment in a timely manner; determines a course of action after weighing and analyzing different options; seeks out additional information when necessary; presents solutions and suggestions within the appropriate channels.
CITY OF EDEN PRAIRIE PRE-EMPLOYMENT PROCESS
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Work history
- Professional References
- Background Investigation (must have and maintain valid MN Driver's License with excellent driving record)
- Drug and Alcohol Testing
- Physical Examination
- Psychological Evaluation
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the pre-employment process before becoming a member of the Fire Department.
2022 Duty-Crew Firefighter Recruitment Timeline
(Candidates must be able to complete each required step of the process on scheduled dates)
Application Post Date:
December 17, 2021
Application Due Date:
February 9, 2022 at 4:00 PM
To be considered, applicants should complete an online application by the deadline. Go to edenprairie.org/Employment and click “Open Positions,” then select “Duty-Crew Firefighter” to apply.
Having previous firefighter experience or education is not a requirement of the job. However, if you have any of the certifications listed below, please upload to your application.
- Firefighter 1
- Firefighter 2
- FEMA IS100
- FEMA IS200
- FEMA IS 700
- Healthcare Provider CPR
- EMT Card
- Hazardous Materials Operations/Technician
Fire Department Overview Presentation:
February 16, 2022 (6:00 PM-7:00 PM)
The Eden Prairie Fire Department will provide an overview of the department and the role of a duty crew firefighter. It is highly encouraged to attend this. Qualified applicants will receive an email inviting them to this event.
First Round Interviews:
February 22, 2022 (9:00 AM – 5:00 PM) or February 23, 2022 (1:00 PM – 4:30 PM)
Qualified candidates will be invited to a 30-minute interview with members of the Fire Command Staff, Fire Department and Human Resources. The invite will be sent via email. Candidates will select a time via Sign Up Genius.
Second Round Interviews:
March 2, 2022 (8:00 AM – 4:30 PM) or March 3, 2022 (1:00 PM-4:30 PM)
Selected candidates will be invited to a 30-minute interview. The interview panel will be Fire Command Staff, members of the fire department and Human Resources.
Physical Ability Test:
March 7 (practice) & March 9 (test) *If practice is passed, candidate doesn’t have to take test
The physical ability test is a series of physical challenges, which must be completed in ten minutes or less. This event takes place at Fire Station #2 and generally takes 30 minutes. Candidates selected from the Second Round interviews will be invited to take this test.
Pre-Employment Background Investigation & Reference Checks:
Candidate Packets Initiated March 11 through March 23; expected to be completed by May 18
Applicants who successfully pass the interview and physical ability test will be asked to complete a background investigation process.
Pre-Employment Physical & Psychological Evaluations:
May 23 – June 10
Applicants who successfully pass the City’s evaluation of the background check will receive a contingent offer and need to pass the pre-employment physical.
Formal Job Offers:
Week of June 20
Applicants who successfully pass the City’s evaluation of all pre-employment assessments will receive a formal job offer letter.
June 28, 2022
Candidates provided with a formal job offer will be fitted for a duty crew firefighter uniform at Fire Station #1.
June 28, 2022 (6:00 PM – 8:00 PM)
Candidates will go through an HR and Fire Department Orientation on this date.