Status: Full-time regular position, exempt
Pay: $113,755 to $136,531 (annually)
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Location: City Center
Hours: Standard business hours (8am-4:30pm), varies based on business need due to Council meetings, Commission meetings, and events.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Community Development Director
Community Development Department
The Community Development Department is comprised of Planning, Assessing, Economic Development, and Housing and Community Services. This department supports the long-term vitality of the City through city-wide land use planning, development review activities, maintaining a positive environment for business, addressing housing and community service needs, and enhancing revenue generation through responsible property valuations.
The City Planner monitors, evaluates, and manages all planning division functions, including development of operational plans for the planning division to ensure that development is aligned with the principles of the comprehensive plan, the City’s Strategic plan, and Chapters 11 and 12 of the City Code. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Manages full-time staff; develops division work plans; assigns tasks and projects or areas of responsibilities to employees; organizes workloads and availability to meet completion schedule; prepares division budget.
- Reviews reports, studies, correspondence, and develops plans for the planning division; directs the development of implementation strategies to carry out plans and ordinance strategies adopted by the city.
- Manages activities relating to the Planning Commission; provides guidance, advice, and recommendations on all matters relating to planning, zoning, and subdivision.
- Manages activities relating to the Heritage Preservation Commission.
- Consults with developers, citizens, and outside agencies regarding development proposals; drafts correspondence regarding development proposals to explain development goals, policies, and how to meet compatibility with the Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Code.
- Plans, manages, and coordinates the development of a comprehensive plan and zoning code, and associated amendments.
- Performs, reviews, and analyzes complex land development proposals, including Guide Plan Change, PUD, Zoning, Site Plan, and subdivision proposals; drafts staff reports and developer agreements, including recommendations to the Planning Commission and City Council. Makes presentations at Planning Commission and City Council meetings as required.
- Collaborates with other cities and agencies on regional planning affecting Eden Prairie and serves as a primary contact with Metropolitan Council staff.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Geography, or related field required. Master’s in related field and AICP preferred.
Work Experience: Minimum of five years of progressive land use planning experience, including experience with work direction required; supervisory experience preferred.
Technical Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) required. GIS and other ARC View applications preferred.
Physical Requirements: Physical activity for the majority of the work with lifting or carrying is limited to 25 pounds intermittently. There is a need to make presentations, which involves public speaking in front of in front of city leaders, businesses, and the general public. Between 30-70% of the time there is pressure associated with a project or deadline. Report preparation and writing at times requires extended use of a keyboard.
Working Conditions: Most work is performed in a normal office environment. Work interruptions are frequent.
Position Specific Expectations
Business Acumen: Understands competition within a private marketplace; develops effective business strategies to maximize profit or value to customers.
Communication: Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today and about possibilities; can inspire and motivate others; provides direct, complete, actionable and positive feedback to others; able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect.
Motivating Others: Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; makes each individual’s work feel important; is someone people like working for and with; able to motivate direct reports, project members and a team; invites input and encourages contribution; empowers others; effectively delegates by sharing responsibilities and accountability.
Presentation: Is effective in a variety of settings: small and large groups, with peers, direct reports, and management; is effective in all facets of the organization; uses effective tactics and techniques to keep audience engaged to facilitate results; provides direct and positive feedback to others.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Education and work history verification
- Criminal History Check
- Leadership Evaluation
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
City of Eden Prairie Application Process
Post Date: January 4, 2021
Application Deadline: January 24, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.
Review Application/Communication to Candidates: by January 27, 2022
First Round Interviews: January 31, 2022
Final Round Interview Process: February 7, 2022
Pre-Employment Process: February 2022
Anticipated Start Date: February 2022