Reporting to the Director of Operations, leads the quality team, initiatives, and performance for the Toro machining Center of Excellence (COE) in Shakopee, MN. Provide strategic leadership within the plant as part of the Shakopee Operations Leadership Team by prioritizing/communicating customer needs, providing feedback on plant quality performance, and facilitating teamwork to assure root cause analysis and corrective actions are implemented and effective. Develops long and short range plans to assure the Quality areas are aligned with Division/Corporate core value strategies using lean principles as the basis for deployment of process. Assures that Quality resources are properly managed to meet customer needs in a cost effective manner. Assures that all government and corporate regulations are followed and complied with. Keeps current of latest business and industry developments. Remains flexible and progressive in leading/managing the manufacturing process.
LIST OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assures component parts are manufactured to specification using a controlled and repeatable process.
- Assist design and engineering group in development and prove-out verification of new processes.
- Assure strong communication and partnering takes place with assembly plants to resolve daily issues and improve long term quality performance.
- Provide feedback to the plant personnel prioritizing/communicating customer expectations and status of plant quality performance.
- Monitor effectiveness of corrective actions and communicate continuing problems to the plant.
- Update management staff on overall plant and supplier quality performance, effectiveness of preventative/corrective action activity, current project status, and assessments of customer needs on a regular basis.
- Furnish technical support and training in latest quality techniques and philosophies to improve process control and nonconformance prevention. Form and facilitate teams to address significant or reoccurring quality issues using Root Cause / Correct Action analysis.
- Assure effective quality systems, personnel, and equipment resources are available, developed, and maintained.
- Assure effective process controls and inspection procedures are identified and documented.
- Track and provide quality performance feedback to external suppliers. Identify key issues and work with plant, purchasing, and supplier resources to resolve issues. Consult with suppliers to upgrade their quality capabilities.
- Facilitate the implementation and maintenance of ISO 9001:2015 certification.
- Administer the auditing and corrective action portions of ISO 9001:2015.
- Responsible for creating an environment which values employees, serves our customers and provides a fair return to owner.
- Assures excellent housekeeping, productivity and work habits are maintained.
- Responsible for maintaining calibration requirements for all tools and gauges in the facility.
- Communicates effectively at all levels in the organization to keep manufacturing on track with corporate/division objectives.
- Administers the labor agreement in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Performs related duties and special projects as assigned.
BUSINESS PLANS AND STRATEGIES
- Utilizing Lean principles, methodologies and techniques, this role is responsible for the implementation, execution and overall operation of the quality processes at Shakopee.
- Provide development and guidance to the hourly and salaried workforce through proper coaching, partnering and relationship building.
- Provide ongoing analysis of manufacturing area operating results and corrective action to meet or exceed planned performance levels of quality, expense, efficiency and inventory control.
- Responsible for appropriate manpower planning during peak and non-peak operations, utilizing contract language and processes to balance customer need and cost goals.
- Support the development and implementation of the capital plan to provide adequate capacity, aggressive quality improvement, and strong cost and asset control.
- Monitor safety, energy, hygiene, fire protection, environmental and security programs and assure production area in compliance with all local, state and federal laws.
- Assures the E.E.O. and A.A.P. programs are compiled within area of responsibility.
- Responsible to implement, audit and administer ISO policies and processes at site.
- Assure up-to-date job descriptions and trial periods are available for all jobs in the production area.
- Perform timely and relevant performance evaluations.
- Provide for the development and training of employees in production areas.
- Assure the production area is staffed with capable well trained employees.
- Directly supervise 3-4 exempt Engineers or Technicians.
- Indirectly supervise up to 6 hourly Inspection employees.
- Responsible for providing parts to final assembly facilities.
- Some travel required (<5%).
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering or other applicable technical major.
- 5-7 years’ experience in Eng/Quality roles.
- Strong management, communication, and leadership skills.
- Six-Sigma Green Belt Certification.
- ASQ Certification.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.