Human Resources Generalist
- City Of Eden Prairie
- Eden Prairie, Minnesota
- Closing date
- Feb 11, 2022
- Administrative / Clerical, Business, Government, Human Resources
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Status: Full-Time Regular/ Exempt
Salary Range: $71,989 to $86,341 annually
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Location: City Center, 8080 Mitchell Road, Eden Prairie MN 55344
Hours: Standard business hours, some evenings required with certain staffing processes.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Human Resources/Support Services Manager
Human Resources Division
The Human Resources division enables the City to attract and retain individuals that can build a successful service based organization by developing innovative systems for the recruitment, retention and development of staff; providing solution-driven support to managers; and ensuring the trust of city staff through the fair application of human resources systems. The division also oversees compliance with applicable employment laws. The division is responsible for recruitment, employee relations, contract negotiations, compensation and benefit programs, and individual and organization development.
The Human Resources Division is responsible for ensuring that the City can attract, retain, and develop the talent necessary to meet its mission. As a member of the Human Resources team, the Human Resources Generalist supports all departments in finding the right candidates for city positions. In addition, the HR Generalist supports the Administration Division with City-wide projects. The following primary areas of impact are:
- Getting the right talent to the right spot by consulting with managers to determine staffing requirements and coordinating the recruitment and selection process for all City positions; focuses on building partnerships with organizations and groups for the purpose of increasing the flow of highly qualified and diverse candidates.
- Getting new employees off to a positive start by providing them with the tools they need to make a smooth transition; coordinates onboarding activities such as facilitating orientations, new hire trainings, and coordinating a positive entrance to the City by providing internal departments and supervisor tools and guidance.
- Serves as back-up to payroll for the City on a quarterly basis and more frequently as needed; provides ongoing general payroll support; understands basic laws, processes and procedures to ensure employees are paid timely and accurately; runs reports for HR division using Microsoft Excel and the HRIS Ultimate Kronos Group (UKG).
- Developing and promoting the City’s brand as an employer, including internet presence, promotions, ads, and print materials; ensures an adequate flow of candidates by developing relationships with supporting organizations/education institutions.
- Encourage growth, development, and success throughout the City by assisting with the implementation of various employee trainings and development; facilities leadership training including effective interviewing.
- Coordinates and supports city-wide projects to ensure efficient and effective systems are implemented within the organization such as citizen’s academy and performance metrics programs. Training managers and peer interview teams on selection tools and interview techniques.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field required.
Work Experience: Minimum of three years of experience in human resources required; experience with staffing, recruiting and HRIS required. Experience in payroll, UKG (Ultimate Kronos Group) and knowledge of employment law and familiarity with local government preferred.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) required; experience with Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) and online talent management systems preferred.
Physical Requirements: Physical effort is light for the majority of work with lifting or carrying limited to 25 pounds intermittently. There are intermittent visits to City Department locations, some of which are in other areas of the city. Between 40% of the time there is pressure associated with an activity deadline. Work interruptions are frequent.
Working Conditions: Most work is performed in a normal office environment.
Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Attention to Detail: Able to find errors in work and solve problems; anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy; sets up systems to ensure errors are not repeated.
Accountability: Follows through on commitments; focuses on appropriate tasks throughout the shift; takes responsibilities for actions both as an individual and on behalf of the organization; actions and words are in sync; follows all policies and procedures; maintains confidentiality; is prepared and punctual to all scheduled shifts.
Composure: Exhibits self-confidence and asserts self appropriately in several different situations; maintains professionalism while under pressure; can handle stress; energized by tough challenges.
Organization: Ability to coordinate several activities, responsibilities, and tasks simultaneously in a polite and professional manner; prioritizes what needs to get done; keeps things neat and orderly; utilizes tools for efficiency; factors several considerations when planning; establishes methods to ensure routine tasks are completed.
Hiring Talent: Makes appropriate staffing decisions based on the right mixture of facts; follows all legal requirements, policies and procedures; practices equal and fair treatment and opportunity for all; hires the best people; assembles a balanced and capable staff, and builds a network of resources; able to identify talent and potential; develops succession plans to anticipate and prepare for team change.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Criminal History/Background Check
- Education and work history verification
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
City of Eden Prairie Application Timeline
To apply, complete an online application (www.edenprairie.org and click on the employment tab) by the application deadline.
Position Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2022
Position Closes: Wednesday, February 9, 2022
Review Applications/Resumes: As received
Interviews (Virtual): January/February, 2022
Pre-employment Process: February, 2022
Tentative Start Date: February/March, 2022
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert