Senior Project Engineer
Status: Full-time Regular Position, Exempt
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Pay Range: $87,693 to $114,005
Location: City Center
Hours: Standard business hours (8am-4:30pm), may vary based on business need
Reporting Relationship: Reports to City Engineer
Public Works Department
The Public Works Department is comprised of Engineering, Water Treatment Plant, Utility Field Operations, Street Maintenance, and Fleet Services. The department is responsible for the environmental management, design, construction, and maintenance of the streets, water, wastewater, and stormwater infrastructure systems in the community.
The Senior Project Engineer focuses on project development and project management which encompasses a variety of engineering issues within the City; and communicates project details to developers, contractors, residents, and other stakeholders. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Manages and coordinates infrastructure improvement projects including utility, water quality, transportation, and environmental issues; develops contract documents and oversees consultants, contractors, and inspectors; drafts and reviews project specifications and bidding documents; works collaboratively with the public and stakeholders to solve project issues.
- Manages engineering division’s role in the City’s development review process; reviews agreements and specifications, reviews and negotiates technical design and construction solutions with developers/engineers; reviews detailed construction and building plans, including grading, roadway geometrics, utilities, water quality, and drainage.
- Manages the planning and design of the City’s pavement management program; prioritizes, plans, and implements maintenance strategies and project contracts.
- Manages up to 3 direct reports and provides leadership and technical skills as needed to other engineering staff regarding project work needs.
- Assists with long range planning of infrastructure needs including streets, utilities, and stormwater; provides skills as needed to support Engineering goals and objectives.
- Prepares technical written documents including feasibility studies, technical memorandums; assists with Municipal State Aid reporting.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering required; professional Engineering License strongly preferred.
Work Experience: Minimum of 5 years of experience working in a civil/technical position required; municipal engineering or project management experience preferred.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and specialized civil engineering software required.
Physical Requirements: Physical efforts include mobility around an office environment; outdoor activities such as observing and navigating on, around and through public and private infrastructure (streets, utilities, buildings, etc.); meeting with property owners; and visiting construction sites, grading sites, and various environmental areas. The position requires an ability to operate survey/outdoor equipment. Mental efforts include the ability to balance and prioritize multiple projects and initiatives with frequent work interruptions or changes in priorities.
Working Conditions: Most work involves a normal office environment. However, several outdoor activities occur where you are exposed to traffic impacts, construction and grading equipment, noise, dust, weather, etc. where safety equipment is required.
Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Problem Solving: Ability to tackle a problem by using logical, systematic, sequential approach; makes a systematic comparison of two or more alternatives; notices discrepancies and inconsistencies in available information; identifies a set of features, parameters or considerations to take into account in analyzing a situation or making a decision.
Attention to Detail: Able to find errors in work and solve problems; anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy; sets up systems to ensure errors are not repeated.
Planning: Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and effectively delegates assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
Project Management: Looks ahead to the future; identifies appropriate objectives and timelines; involves appropriate stakeholders; continuously monitors project and adapts scope as appropriate; measures results and analyzes outcome; follows through on commitments.
Technical Learning: Effective at acquiring skills, abilities and knowledge; quickly learns new industry, organization, and product information; has an aptitude for retaining and applying technical information; able to communicate techniques, software or product to others; is a quick study; able to work under tight deadlines and pressure.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Criminal History Check
- Education and work history verification
- Driver's Check (must have valid driver's license and excellent driving record)
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
City of Eden Prairie Application Process
Application Close Date: February 2, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.
Review Applications: By February 4, 2022
First Round Interviews: week of February 7, 2022
Final Interviews: week of February 14, 2022
Anticipated Start Date: March 14, 2022