Organizing Specialist-Community Engagement
POSITION TITLE: Organizing Specialist-Community Engagement
POSTING NUMBER: 2022-03
DEPARTMENT: Professional Practice, Research and Organizing
SUPERVISOR: Manager of Professional Practice, Research and Organizing
LOCATION: Headquarters – St. Paul
HOURS/STATUS: Full Time (Temporary)
FSLA STATUS: Exempt
EMPLOYEE GROUP: Professional Staff / TEMPO Bargaining Unit
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Education Minnesota seeks an Organizing Specialist to help us further our racial equity, social justice, and public education goals. The Organizing Specialist will focus on developing and maintaining organizational partnerships, engaging members in their local union and community, engaging members in work towards racial equity, and furthering Education Minnesota’s social justice agenda. This position is designed to demonstrate to members the value of membership in a union that works towards racial and social justice.
Education Minnesota is a member-led labor union that has identified racial equity and social justice as primary organizational goals. All staff are expected to participate, individually and collectively, in ongoing training, discussions, and activities to advance these goals. Must also demonstrate a commitment to creating an inclusive space for members and staff, extending this culture of equity and inclusion into the work.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support current community engagement and partnerships with Education Minnesota allies and expand network of community partnerships
- Train members in best practices in organizing, racial equity, social justice, and professional practice
- Support and expand efforts to further education Minnesota’s racial equity and social justice agenda including direct organizing in local unions, developing a network of Racial Equity Advocates, and working closely with the Racial Equity Organizer
- Expand member involvement in community partnerships, social justice initiatives, anti-racism efforts, and local organizing efforts
- Collaborate with all of Education Minnesota’s staff departments on initiatives, programs, and projects that help foster and deepen community partnerships and relationships
- Support the preservation and expansion of Full-Service Community Schools across the state
- Collaborate on legislative and lobbying opportunities between Education Minnesota and community partners around policies and campaigns that will help improve public schools and the lives of students and families
- Facilitate Education Minnesota’s nationwide advocacy via our national affiliates and national coalition tables, and federal legislative actions
- Expand and promote the value of unionism
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Proven commitment to community organizing as a means to improve public schools
- Strong knowledge of and background in anti-racist practice and/or cultural competence
- Experience in developing materials and training adults in small and large groups
- Ability to think both strategically and creatively to solve problems
- Ability to perform and work well under deadlines/pressure
- Strong collaboration skills and the ability to work closely with Education Minnesota staff
- Ability to represent Education Minnesota professionally in coalitions and with external partners
- Applicants must be aware of the issues facing public education and labor unions
- A high level of discretion and good judgement
- Applicants must either have a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience of 4 years in organizing or a public school setting
- Valid Minnesota driver’s license
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (vaccination card). If you have a medical exemption you will be asked to provide a written waiver from your medical provider. If you have a religious objections you will be asked to provide documentation stating your religious objection.
- Experience working in a public school
- Knowledge of and commitment to the cause of employee unions
- Experience with member-driven organizations
- Understanding of education issues, political and legislative landscape in Minnesota
- Experience in developing and executing written plans for accomplishing stated goals and objectives
- This is a two (2) year temporary position that will require travel throughout Minnesota.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends as needed.
Work is in a general office environment. Employee is required to: talk and hear; frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically, lift and carry up to 25 pounds; occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
Maintain confidential information as applicable.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications; merit and business need with preference given to people of color.
POSTING DEADLINE: For best consideration, apply online and include a resume. Posting is extended until midnight of Thursday, January 20, 2022.
APPLY USING THIS LINK: