CONTROLLER – FULL-TIME
CONTROLLER – FULL-TIME
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (Legal Aid) is seeking a full-time Controller to oversee and maintain day-to-day financial transactions and accounting procedures, including smooth, timely, and accurate AP and AR processing, and ensuring excellence in our core accounting processes. This position would be based in Legal Aid’s Minneapolis office. This is a supervisory position. The Controller will report to the Deputy Director of Operations. This position is temporarily remote and will be a hybrid position upon any firm-wide office return. This position will start as soon as possible after an offer is extended.
As an equal opportunity employer, Legal Aid is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. We welcome information about how your experience can contribute to serving our diverse client communities. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter how they can further our goal of equal justice for all. We are committed to a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace.
BACKGROUND: MMLA is a 7-office, 180 staff, nonprofit law firm, providing free legal representation and services to people with low incomes, people with disabilities, and elderly Minnesotans. MMLA receives funds from federal, state, and local government, foundations, United Ways, and private donors.
- Apply the principles of Legal Aid’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions
- Responsible for all financial, accounting, related reporting, procedures, and internal controls
- Develop, recommend, and implement accounting and operational policies, procedures, and processes that assure organized, efficient, and compliant management systems
- Provide fiscal management of all grants and contracts
- Prepare, manage, and monitor organizational and grant budgets
- Ensure that expenditures adhere to legal and budgetary requirements
- Perform period end/year end closing in the accounting system
- Review bank reconciliations
- Prepare and review monthly account reconciliation for all balance sheet accounts
- Maintain unemployment trust and related liability estimate
- Review variance reports, using it as a tool to adjust/modify the budget
- Maintain chart of accounts
- Maintain schedule of temporarily restricted fund balance and manage releases
- Preparation of audit work papers and Form 990 materials
- Provide information, insight, and guidance with respect to financial and operational issues
- Responsible for the supervision of the annual independent audit
- Ensure all insurance coverages, including D&O, malpractice, general, property, etc., are in place each year
- Manage payroll, purchasing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, finance and general accounting functions
- Responsible for supervision, training, and evaluation of the Finance Department staff.
- Manage cash of the organization
- Maintain, manage, and grow effective relationships with banking and other related fiscal entities
- Oversee preparation of financial expense reimbursement requests and invoices to government entities in accordance with contract requirements and applicable regulations
- Oversee preparation of government contract financial reporting on a monthly/quarterly basis
- Communicate accounting policies to employees to ensure compliance with internal polices
- Actively stay current on new accounting regulations and relevant non-profit issues
- Provide support to COO and Executive Director in preparation for Executive Committee or other Board-related meetings
- Other duties as assigned by the COO and Executive Director
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent experience
- Minimum eight (8) years of progressive career experience in Finance/Accounting
- Minimum five (5) years of management experience with a proven track record of mentoring and developing staff
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience with Abila or similar accounting software
- Must be a proven leader with sound conflict resolution and interpersonal skills and is able to work efficiently with a diverse population
- Strategic thinking, leadership, and planning skills
- Self-motivated, driven individual interested in improving internal efficiencies
- Ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to function as a team player and build consensus as needed
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to learn and teach others established procedures
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Appreciates and protects the extremely confidential nature of payroll, personnel information, student account balance information, and collection issues, and is accordingly circumspect in all matters in this area
- 10+ years of Finance/Accounting experience, preferably in a non-profit business environment
- 7+ years of management experience
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)/Certified Management Account (CMA)
- Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences
SALARY: $80,205 to $100,847 per year, depending on experience, plus benefits. Benefits include family medical and dental insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match, FSA, employee assistance programs, and generous paid time off.
APPLICATIONS: Submit resume, cover letter expressing interest in the position, and salary requirements online at https://mylegalaid.org/employment by Friday, February 11th, 2022, or until position is filled.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in our employee selection process, please contact Jolene Chestnut at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please direct all other inquiries to email@example.com.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.