Walter's Recycling & Refuse is currently hiring an Operations Manager that will lead the daily collection routes and driver/laborer performance in single or multiple lines of businesses: Commercial Division under the supervision of the Director of Operations.
Walter's is a leading provider of waste collection and recycling services to both the public and private sectors in the Twin Cities metropolitan area. We are a family-owned and operated business started in 1988 with a fleet of over 75 diesel and compressed natural gas (CNG) powered trucks and provide 100,000 services per week.
About the Role:
The Operations Manager will be responsible for success, and individuals must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The Operations Manager must be willing and able to spend a minimum of 30% - 40% of each week in the field and 60% - 70% in an office setting. Other minor duties may be assigned. The ideal candidate would be a professional who is driven, ambitious and can think outside the box when it comes to problem solving.
- Organizes and schedules all necessary resources required to accomplish activities. Coordinates daily operational needs with the Maintenance team.
- Plans, distributes, monitors, and follows-up daily route assignments to ensure customers are serviced per company standards and agreements.
- Manages the beginning and/or end-of-day check-in process, capturing and communicating key service, safety, and equipment issues.
- Monitors driver and laborer time and attendance, minimizing overtime and ensuring that drivers do not exceed limits established by regulatory agencies (e.g., 60-hour rule).
- Reviews weekly demand/volume for routes determines potential gains from re-routing and recommends re-routes to the Director of Operations.
- Sets, monitors, and communicates productivity and service targets for each route and driver.
- Assists with data collection and reporting required for incentive pay programs.
- Works with functional groups to resolve employee relations and labor relations issues.
- Ensures that drivers comply with physicals, drug or alcohol tests, and training required by regulatory agencies.
- Conduct regular driver evaluations while on route with the drivers and visit customer sites as necessary
- Smith System Certified trainer
- Assists the Safety Manager in Root Cause Investigations for all injuries and incidents, ensuring consistent discipline and retraining.
- Visits customers and customer sites to evaluate and resolve safety issues, seeking service alternatives where appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains a clean, safe work environment in compliance with Company/Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards.
- Documents problem fixes and provides instructions to dispatch/service should problems recur
- Notifies customer service of customer service delays or issues.
- Ensures set-up errors and missed pickups are reported and resolved.
- Reviews and audits documentation related to route operations daily (e.g., DVIRs, driver time and attendance, open tickets), following up where appropriate.
- Any other duties as assigned
This job has supervisory responsibilities for Drivers assigned to the position. Responsibilities for the employee include performance reviews and feedback, scheduling time off, employee complaints, pay changes, and job responsibilities.
- Education: Associates Degree (accredited), or in place of diploma, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and two (2) years of relevant work experience work in transportation, logistics, warehousing, or solid waste operations.
- No previous Waste Industry Experience Required.
- Applicable experience may be substituted for education requirements.
- Preferred: Two years of leadership experience in transportation, logistics, warehousing, or solid waste operations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements:
- Valid driver's license necessary, CDL Class A or B preferred
Other Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities Required:
- Coaching, routing assessments, and leading employees are requirements of the role.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This is mostly a sedentary position.
Walters offers competitive benefits packages including:
- Competitive wages - Based on Experience
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance
- HSA Employer contributions
- Vision Insurance
- Company Paid: Life Insurance and Short Term Disability
- Company Paid Parental Leave
- Voluntary Benefits; Additional Life Insurance, Long Term Disability, Critical Illness, and Accidental
- Legalshield/ID Shield
- 401K with Employer Match
- Personal Time Off 6 Paid Holidays.
- Free Trash Pickup within the service area
Walters Recycling and Refuse Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We make all employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
OPEN DATE 4/22/2022
THIS POSITION IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS.