COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR – FULL-TIME
4 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR – FULL-TIME
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA) is seeking a full-time Communications Director for its Minneapolis office. This position designs, develops, and implements a communications plan to build awareness of MMLA’s mission, programs, and achievements.
The Communication Director actively supports and advances our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion and will report to the Deputy Director of Operations and supervise the Social Media Coordinator. The Communications Director will collaborate closely with the Development Director and team. The position is temporarily remote and will be a hybrid position upon any firm-wide office return.
As an equal opportunity employer, MMLA is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. We welcome information about how your experience can contribute to serving our diverse client communities. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter how they can further our goal of equal justice for all. We are committed to a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace.
BACKGROUND: Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is a 7-office, 180 employee, nonprofit law firm, providing free legal representation and services to people with low incomes, people with disabilities, and elderly Minnesotans. MMLA receives funds from federal, state, and local government, foundations, United Ways, and private donors.
- Apply the principles of MMLA’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions.
- Maintain strong collaborative relationships across MMLA.
- Together with MMLA’s leadership team, develop and implement a strategic communications plan, including key messaging, that will result in increased awareness of MMLA.
- Collaborate with the Development Team on fundraising materials, including solicitation letters, event marketing materials, and advertising.
- Oversee creation of annual report, newsletters, web content, social media, press releases, and other marketing materials.
- Work with the Social Media Coordinator to plan increased presence on multiple platforms.
- Plan several non-ask email communications throughout the year.
- Establish relationships with media contacts and identify efforts to bring positive earned media attention to MMLA.
- Manage MMLA’s website and social media accounts and ensure they are up to date.
- Manages and coordinates all media relations and external publications.
- Demonstrated commitment to the needs of clients with low incomes and disabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Five plus years of experience in communications or marketing.
- Proficiency in applicable computer applications including, but not limited to Microsoft Office, social media platforms, and graphic design programs (Canva, Publisher).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other management staff, employees, and the public.
- Ability to write and edit in a clear, compelling, and quick manner. Demonstrated capacity to write in a variety of formats, styles, and voices including short form web and social communications, press releases, long-form features, and opinion pieces.
- Ability to communicate complex issues clearly (i.e. translate legalese) conveying “why it matters”.
- Excellent organizational, communication, time-management, prioritization skills and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences.
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment.
- Insight into issues affecting MMLA’s clients which may be based on experience. working in the areas of social justice, economic justice, and racial justice
- Familiarity with marketing/communication as it relates to fundraising communications.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid offers a competitive salary and robust benefits package including family medical and dental insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match, FSA, employee assistance programs, and generous paid time off.
APPLICATIONS: Submit resume, cover letter expressing interest in the position, and salary expectations online at https://mylegalaid.org/employment.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in our employee selection process, please contact Jolene Chestnut at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please direct all other inquiries to email@example.com.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.