Digital Engineering Manager
4 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Star Tribune is looking for a Digital Engineering Manager who loves to work in fast-paced, agile environments to lead a team of dedicated Dev Ops Engineers, Software Engineers, and QA staff.
Star Tribune’s Engineering team has a multifaceted role in the creation and deployment of large scale, consumer facing infrastructure, infrastructure monitoring and security enforcement. We work within and alongside a world-class news organization to ensure stability, performance, and continuous improvement. Our overall focus is to build strong software products to bring the best possible experience to the millions of readers of the Star Tribune online, on their phone or wherever they may be looking for news and information about Minnesota.
The role is a blend of leadership and execution, leading a team of Engineers and collaborating with the various functions of Star Tribune – News, Advertising, Marketing, Circulation and more. In this role, you’ll be working on everything from core content systems that power our news coverage, to supporting a complex advertising marketplace, to engineering commerce systems to power our subscription services.
You will lead a team of Engineers in a collaborative environment where there is opportunity for peer code reviews and an open exchange of ideas and philosophies. An ideal candidate for this position would have a strong technical foundation in web technologies, be excited to work in new technologies, and possess strong leadership capabilities.
- Participate in both strategic and tactical planning around scalability, efficiency, security and resilience of the overall Star Tribune digital platform
- Work with your team to identify and recommend new technologies, both proprietary and open source, that will further benefit our systems and network operations
- Participate in the development of internal monitors/tools to improve insight into and operation of our infrastructure
- Analyze and recommend new directions for all layers of our software stack
- Identify opportunities for improving security, reliability, and scalability of our software product line
- Partner with other teams in the organization to improve developer and designer workflow and communication
- Work with your team as a subject matter expert on core digital technologies
- 7+ years of software engineering experience
- 3+ years of person management experience
- Knowledge of version control systems (e.g. Git) and code management
- Knowledge of common database systems (Mysql, Postgres, MongoDB) and their administration (architecture, modeling, security, performance)
- Knowledge of web hosting technologies (AWS preferred) and operating systems, ability to administer DNS
- Thorough understanding of Linux and Unix based Operating Systems
- Ability to champion new tools and technologies both inside the technical organization as well as to affected stakeholder groups to provide context for the change and react to feedback from the organization
- Knowledge of infrastructure security, monitoring and disaster planning
- Must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or granted an accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious belief
- 5+ years Engineering leadership and people management experience in a scalable software development environment
- Experience managing inside of a Scrum organization
- Knowledge of managing an infrastructure budget inside of a cloud environment, providing projections for costs over time
- Strong mentorship ability to guide both direct and indirect reports
- Amazon web services experience
- Knowledge of container-based infrastructure, specifically technologies related to the utilization of Docker
- Knowledge of service discovery techniques and implementations
- Experience managing large-scale data processing tools/techniques (EMR, ETL, Redshift)
- Experience in test-driven and behavior-driven development environments
- Experience in writing scalable software in Python, Node.js, Go, Ruby and/or PHP
- Knowledge of in-memory datastores like memcached and Redis
- Familiarity with monitoring/reporting services
- Experience presenting on technical topics to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong people leadership coupled with business acumen, and the ability to schedule and complete projects based on business requirements
- Knowledge of micro-services/distributed systems architecture
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related fields
Some top benefits include: a new downtown office with gym access to Capella Tower Health Club in the building and access to rooftop amenities in warm months; commuter benefits; competitive medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; 401(k) matching; tuition assistance; pet insurance and unlimited digital access to Star Tribune. In addition, Star Tribune has partnerships with many organizations that offer our employees a variety of discounts!