As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It's how we care, grow, and win together.
Every time a guest enters a Target store or browses Target.com, they experience the impact of Target's investments in technology and innovation. We're the technologists behind one of the most loved retail brands, delivering joy to millions of our guests, team members, and communities.
Join our global in-house technology team of more than 4,000 engineers, data scientists, architects, coaches, and product managers striving to make Target the most convenient, safe and joyful place to shop. We use agile practices and leverage open-source software to adapt and build best-in-class technology for our team members and guests-and we do so with a focus on diversity and inclusion, experimentation, and continuous learning.
BUSINESS CAPABILITIES AND IMPACT
The mission of the Stores and Supply Chain engineering team is to delight our guests by having our products available at the right place, right quantity and at the right time with the most reliable, fast and secure checkout, payment and returns experience at 1870+ stores across the US. We make this happen using world class supply chain networks that comprises of 50+ warehouses and a massive fleet of transportation services that moves about $100B of inventory through our supply chain. We provide multiple ways of fulfilling our guests needs from our network of distribution centers and stores. We build applications and services that power 500,000+ team members in stores and distribution centers to ensure we have our products available to ultimately delight our guests. We enable team members to give the guest a great Target shopping experience on 60,000+ registers, self-checkout and mobile point of sale devices. Core responsibilities are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
Our engineering teams are empowered to select the appropriate technology for the problem they are trying to solve. We value applicants with a variety of technological experience and have no hard requirements on knowing any specific technologies.
We know that it's interesting to know about the kinds of problems you'll be solving day to day, here are a few things our teams are working on:
- We aggregate billions of Kafka events a day using Kotlin/RocksDB microservices. These leverage machine learning-driven forecasts to determine what products are purchased and when they should be sent to our 1870+ stores.
- We power a variety of user experiences built with Electron/Typescript/React & Android Native/Kotlin stacks that are used daily on over 500k devices in our stores. These interact with a micro-services based architecture with edge computing at scale. This is the cornerstone of moving $100B+ in inventory per year.
- We authorize millions of payment transactions per day for stores and digital checkout using persistent socket connections with Netty and the latest cryptographic standards to ensure payments are fast and secure!
- We serve thousands of requests per second with Kotlin/Micronaut microservice REST APIs using PostgreSQL and Cassandra backends.
- We value monitoring the health of thousands of VMs via Grafana dashboards hitting InfluxDB, and logging billions of events via Elasticsearch and Kibana.
- 4-year degree or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Demonstrates strong domain-specific knowledge regarding Target's technology capabilities, and key competitors' products and differentiating features
- Working knowledge on package-specific configuration and deployment along with ability to build custom solutions
- Designs new testing methods and resolves routine and non-routine technical issues with minimal assistance
- Demonstrates strong proficiency in core development platforms within own domain
- Builds strong commitment within the team to support the appropriate team priorities
- Clearly communicates Agile concepts to partners within product team
- Demonstrates a solid understanding of the impact of own work on the team and/or guests
- Writes and organizes code using multiple computer languages, including distributed programming and understand different frameworks and paradigm
- Delivers high-performance, scalable, repeatable, and secure deliverables with broad impact (high throughput and low latency)
- Influences and applies data standards, policies, and procedures
- Maintains technical knowledge within areas of expertise
- Stays current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education
OPEN ENGINEERING OPPORTUNTIES
We have several open roles across our Stores and Supply Chain engineering teams. They vary across engineering level/experience, technology focus, or business area. If you are interested in learning more, contact us or apply to start a conversation.
This position may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target's needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location. A Full-Time Remote work arrangement means the team member works full-time from home or an alternate location that's not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year.
The salary range is $81,400-$146,500
Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Find competitive benefits from financial and education to well-being and beyond.Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.