Description: About us:
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America's leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We're the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target's passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every aspect of being America's most loved retailer with cutting edge technology, and the smartest engineers in retail technology! Performance and Efficiency (PE) at Target is an engineering discipline that combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems.
As a Principal Engineer in PE, you are someone who has demonstrated experience building highly scalable platforms and fault tolerant systems across a range of technologies, including Linux, Apache, MongoDB, Python, Oracle RDBMS, Redis, Postgres and Hadoop. We use a combination of Google Computing Platform and our own server farms operating out of Target Data Centers, and therefore, experience managing application stacks in a Hybrid cloud is preferred. You are a thought leader and mentor for internal and external technical talent and actively contribute to the external technical community.Job Summary:
As a member of the PE team, you will contribute to technical architecture, product prioritization, scalable automation, capacity planning, adoption of supporting technologies, and all other aspects of maintaining a world-class cloud-based service. You will work closely with software engineering teams developing infrastructure and applications, and focus on driving scalability, stability, reliability, operability of services, and security for Omnichannel retail experiences.
Performance and Efficiency engineers are hybrid systems and software engineers who are responsible and take ownership for performance , efficiency , capacity , reliability, scalability, automation, and other issues related to availability of Target's Enterprise platforms. Our goal is to build, scale and guard the systems that delight our guests. To do so, you will:
- Design, write and build tools to improve the reliability, latency, availability, and scalability of Target's Enterprise products
- Instrument systems for reliability, performance, and efficiency of Target.com experiences and other infrastructure components powering Target.com
- Define, drive adoption and enforcement of service level objectives at both service and experience levels
- Influence, design and create new architectures, standards and methods for large-scale enterprise systems
- Root-cause complex problems involving multiple parties, networks, hardware and software that relate to scaling and performance
- Champion high availability for critical systems, and systematically root out single points of failure
- Drive the performance improvement of infrastructure platforms.
- Design system and application profilers which can drive performance improvement.
- Drive compute, storage, resource optimizations.
- Forecast future capacity needs for an application workload & platform.
- Manage Target's 24x7, always-available infrastructure, strive to eliminate downtime and improve the manageability of services
- Set standards for deployments at scale, infrastructure reliability and scalability. Iterate, revisit and optimize service availability, scalability, and performance
- Influence engineering teams across Target with customer focus, world class quality, effective communication, decisive, fast moving solutions, quick and constructive resolution of conflicts
- Manage service availability and scalability through process, tools, and automation. Perform post-mortems and optimize incident response processes
- Lead incident response for production incidents; Drive investigation, analysis and troubleshooting to resolve production incidents and systematically drive down detection and mitigation times.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 10 years or more building and scaling distributed systems leveraging web scale technologies like Linux, Apache, MongoDB, Python, Oracle RDBMS, Redis, Postgres and Hadoop.
- Experience with Linux/Unix internals and systems services like DNS, DHCP, TFTP, iptables, smtp, as well as networking protocols such as TCP, UDP and HTTP.
- Experience with monitoring systems, tracing and observability to manage large scale systems and 24x7 availability.
- Experience with building and maintaining application stacks in a Hybrid Cloud environment, as well as expertise with Google Cloud Platform (GCP) is a plus.
- Programming experience in one or more of the following languages: Go, Java, Python, Ruby, Shell and CI/CD tools such as Travis, Drone, Jenkins.
This position may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target's needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location. A Full-Time Remote work arrangement means the team member works full-time from home or an alternate location that's not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada residents is $137,500 to $247,500. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Find competitive benefits from financial and education to well-being and beyond. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.