Power System Operator
At Otter Tail Power Company, our employees support the communities we serve by producing reliable, affordable, and environmentally responsible electricity. Everyone has an important role in accomplishing these objectives! In the Power System Operator role, the PSO duties include Transmission System Operator and Local Balancing Authority Operator responsibilities.
The PSO must work a rotating 12-hour shift schedule, with strict adherence to the PSO work schedule. Each role has full authority to independently operate the OTP and integrated electrical transmission system and balancing authority in a safe, reliable, impartial manner, while being governed by OTP, MISO, MRO, NERC, and FERC policies and standards.
An AAS degree with five years of experience or a bachelor’s degree with three years of experience is required. Education and experience in roles related to the distribution and transmission of electrical energy are preferred, however other applicants from other professions could be considered. Candidates must possess strong computer, communication, organizational and mathematical skills and understand electrical fundamentals as related to power system operation. The skills and knowledge are required to process dynamic information while solving complex problems.
The successful candidate must obtain NERC System Operator Certification (via examination) within six months of the date of hire and maintain the NERC Certification via continuing education. The successful candidate will be required to establish primary residence within 30 miles of Fergus Falls, MN.
We believe employment is a partnership and we expect excellence from our talented employees. To support our employees and help them thrive in their career experience and goals, we offer:
- Competitive wage & benefit package.
- Employee Stock Ownership options
- Retirement Savings Fund with employer match
- Health insurance plan options
- Training – our average employee spends 40 hours in training and development each year! This includes safety – one of our 5 values and key to our success – technical, compliance and developmental training.
- Career development is critical to our long-term success. Otter Tail Power employees have opportunities to participate in various leadership development programs, gain access to an a la carte online leadership course catalog, receive mentorship from current leaders and more!
- Access to mental health support from the experts at The Village Family Service Center.
If this sounds like a great fit for you, apply today. Don’t wait too long though! To apply, visit our careers page at www.otpco.com. We’ll accept applications through June 30, 2022.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.