Corporate Paint Technician
Job Summary: Responsible for developing and implementing an innovative, competitive, safe, ergonomic & environmentally compliant paint manufacturing systems. Oversee all paint processes and procedures, ensure paint specifications are followed, provide paint recommendations for improvements, identify paint issues, and participate in innovative solutions to problems.
This position reports to the North American Production Manager. The work schedule would typically follow production hours, unless needing to meet with vendors, suppliers or customers. Experience in E-coat, powder coating and wet paint; epoxy, urethane and alkyds are required to be successful in this position.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversee paint processes and procedures in all locations to ensure flow and up to date equipment.
- Prepare, operate, and maintain all equipment within the paint department.
- Develop manufacturing systems and production practices to meet customer demands.
- Interact with production, engineers, quality, and R&D to determine paint and testing equipment needs, updates, and/or modifications.
- Work to eliminate issues, improve safety, ergonomic & environmental impacts and report as needed.
- Ensure paint departments across all locations, domestically and internationally, meet company ISO and ASTM standards as it concerns coating standards for all current and new product requirements.
- Develop and implement paint PFMEA standards and policies.
- Follow all L&M, OSHA and EPA compliances and regulations per paint specs and requirements.
- Train an effective paint department team and conduct refresher training as needed.
- Help educate engineering, quality, purchasing, suppliers, vendors, customers of L&M’s paint specifications and test methods.
- Maintain paint and coating specifications and relay info to necessary departments.
- Create and maintain painting department’s work instructions and SPs to ensure safety, quality, and productivity goals are being met.
- Responsible for providing paint support to maintain and improve coatings and paint processes for current and new products.
- Perform failure analysis on paint failures from field returns as well as product issues from internal and external coating sources.
- Meet department and company productivity and quality goals.
- Communicate with vendors, suppliers, and customers on any issues, updates, or new changes.
- Attend customer, vendor, and supplier meetings, present solutions, and facts clearly.
- Perform work in a safe manner and follow all safety guidelines and procedure.
- Domestic and international travel required and could include weekend travel depending on the project.
- Performs related work or job duties as required by management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required for Entry Level:
- Capable of preparing and maintain a wide variety of engineering reports, documentation, records, and spreadsheets using basic MS Office 365 products and platforms.
- Experience with E-coat, Powder Coating, and wet paint; epoxy, urethane and alkyds.
- Expert in the mixology of paints, solvents and chemicals needed for proper adhesion to various metals and materials.
- Knowledgeable in the proper disposal of such paints, solvents and chemicals.
- Identify paint needs and propose solutions.
- Experience calibrating PH meters, run chemical tests, reclaim blasting booth, paint and test equipment.
- Understand and interpret policy and procedures.
- Plan, assign, review, and evaluate production flow and facility usage using Lean and VSM principles.
- Capacity to work in a fast pace and high-volume setting.
- Communicate, in English, effectively and clearly by both written and verbal means.
- Demonstrate maturity, intelligence, cooperation, and discretion.
- Work effectively both independently and with fellow employees.
- Dependability under both supervised and unsupervised conditions.
- Willing to work overtime, weekends and other shifts, if needed.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical, drug and background test.
Minimum Qualifications for Application:
- 4-year degree in industrial coating or 10 years of experience in the field
- Knowledge of Epicor or similar ERP system.
- Experience in Lean Manufacturing, or Six Sigma.