Job Summary: This position will manufacture test fixtures, production equipment, models and prototypes. Operate and maintain lathes, drill presses, milling machines, planers, shapers, grinders, and other common machine tools in the construction and repair of parts, tools, and fixtures; install and assemble machine parts; maintain a small machine shop; advise in the selection, procurement and storage of machine shop equipment and materials; make rough sketches and estimates of materials and labor costs for machine shop work; keep simple records and make reports; may instruct and lead unskilled assistants. This position will be required to make decisions, take little to no direction and must be able to craft independently. This position will report to the R&D Mgr. It is a salary position, on dayshift and will work with both R&D & Production teams. Compensation is dependent on qualifications, skills, and education.
Essential Job Functions:
- Fabricate and machine parts for test fixtures, models and prototypes.
- Operate and maintain lathes, drill presses, milling machines, planers, shapers, grinders, and other common machine tools.
- Modify existing equipment based on suggested design changes.
- Assist during design discussions and recommends modifications.
- Maintain engineering tools and equipment and report any maintenance problems.
- Follow prints, sketches, instructions and procedures to ensure quality fabrication.
- Assemble fabricated equipment at designated location.
- Some intermittent wiring and/or plumbing required as per project need, if trained.
- Occasional weekend work may be required to complete a project.
- Potentially assist, within capabilities and qualifications, R&D Department and fill in during absences.
- Perform work in a safe manner and follow all safety guidelines and procedure.
- Domestic and international travel required and could include weekend travel depending on the project.
- Performs related work or job duties as required by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required for Entry Level:
- Knowledgeable in areas of machining and assembly.
- Reasonable knowledge of engineering drawings, blueprints and interpret complex technical information.
- General knowledge of the various metals and their characteristics and the industrial methods of cutting and machining them.
- Must be detail orientated, precise and accurate.
- Have a mechanical aptitude and strong initiative.
- Communicate, in English, effectively both orally and written.
- Demonstrate maturity, intelligence, cooperation, and discretion.
- Work effectively with fellow employees and independently.
- Dependability under both supervised and unsupervised conditions.
- Strong mathematical background.
- Experience working with CNC machines, lathes, mills, and other shop equipment.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical, drug/alcohol and background test.
Minimum Qualifications for Application:
High School Diploma or GED with 5 years of experience in a related field, or technical degree in welding, machining or similar field.
2-year tech degree with 5 years of experience in machining or similar field
Knowledge of Epicor or similar ERP system.
Experience in Lean Manufacturing, 5S, or Six Sigma.