Description: Job Title: Director, Executive CommunicationClassification: ExemptDate: July 2022About Us:
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It's how we care, grow, and win together.
The Enterprise Communications team builds confidence, pride and advocacy for Target, connecting and counseling companywide to move our $100-billion business forward. Using our wide-reaching access and influence, we shape Target's culture and protect and strengthen its reputation, and we help to drive traffic, sales and guest loyalty.
We're looking for bold communicators and relationship-focused pros who think strategically and creatively, and are committed to excellent execution and top-quality storytelling for all stakeholders. Comprised of everything from public relations, internal editorial, and experiential and multimedia production, to executive communication and crisis management, Enterprise Communications offers a world-class canvas for communicators to serve Target's millions of stakeholders.Position Overview:
As a Director, Executive Communication, you will:
- Apply expertise in strategic messaging, context-framing and in instigating or originating executive perspective, to support internal and external communication for members of Target's executive leadership team (LT)
- Co-lead the strategic-positioning process for LT members you support, including recommendations and resources to help leaders advance their effectiveness in communication, strategically and tactically
- Lead process to vet all proactive and reactive speaking opportunities and make recommendations accordingly
- Lead strategy and agenda-setting for all-team meetings hosted by the LT members you support
- Write all communications that convey a leader's point of view to broad audiences, including speeches, video or call scripts, op-eds, thought-prompts or talking points, quotes for news releases, social posts, all-team or all-company emails, etc.
- Provide real-time communications counsel and coaching, including troubleshooting
- Manage freelance support as needed
- Understand and participate in Communications team workflow, ensuring high standards of collaboration and quality work product, consistently and effectively
- Lead the planning and workflow process for your team, including oversight and adherence to Enterprise Communications' review and approval process
- Lead talent development routines for the team and participate in pyramid routines to ensure coaching & development, training & growth, and ongoing recognition occur
- Create and maintain a positive team culture by demonstrating behaviors consistent with Target's values of Inclusivity, Connection and Drive
- Other duties as assigned
- College degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant communications experience
- 3+ years of progressive leadership experience
- Experience building and developing a diverse team of functional experts
- High-level communications responsibility in the private or public sectors, including direct, independent support of C-level executives or elected officials
- Deep expertise in speech writing and persuasive storytelling for the ear and the heart, underpinned by an excellent ability to frame arguments, put enterprise initiatives in context, and communicate for engagement and impact
- Trusted counselor and coach who helps leaders convey a strong point of view
- Experience leading or providing significant input on executive-positioning strategy
- Expert at managing projects across complex organizations with multiple stakeholders and unforgiving deadlines, and adapting or improvising as needed to deliver on communications objectives
- Ability to manage ambiguity, facilitate meetings with senior leaders, resolve conflict, build consensus, establish rapport and collaborate effectively, internally and externally, across all levels of an organization up to and including the LT and board of directors
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description but may change at any time due to business needsWorking Environment:
- Up to 25% travel
- Eligible for remote work
- Speech writing
- Messaging strategy
- Strategic recommendations
- Persuasive writing
- Business communications
- Stakeholder communications
- Communications industry knowledge
This position may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target's needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location. A Full-Time Remote work arrangement means the team member works full-time from home or an alternate location that's not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year. Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only:
The salary range for Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada residents is $119,500 to $215,100. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Find competitive benefits from financial and education to well-being and beyond. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.