Description: About Us:
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It's how we care, grow, and win together. The Target High Performance Distributed Computing team creates the platforms and tools to enable our business partners to make great data-based decisions at Target. This team helps to manage hardware and software for large scale distributed computing, frequently angling towards data analytics and Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning type applications. We help develop the technology that personalizes the guest experience, from product recommendations to relevant ad content. We're also the source of the data and analytics behind Target's Internet of Things (IoT) applications, fraud detection, Supply Chain optimization and demand forecasting. We play a key role in identifying the test-and-measure or A/B test opportunities that continuously help Target improve the guest experience, whether they love to shop in stores or at Target.com.As a Principal Engineer you set the strategy for software development and/or infrastructure engineering at Target. You set the direction for how software and infrastructure engineering efforts will be designed, developed, and operationalized across multiple portfolios and drives adoption across TTS. You lead and approve software and infrastructure engineering efforts to meet functional and non-functional requirements. You are a thought leader and mentor for internal and external technical talent and actively contribute to the external technical community.Use your skills, experience, and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. As a Principal Engineer, you'll take the lead as you...
- Understand Target's business and technical environments and assist teams in resolving complex business challenges via current technical solutions by assessing viability and cost through POCs and prototypes.
- Collaborate with technical staff and Enterprise Architecture teams in setting technical direction across platform and drive technology lifecycle management and communication of standards/decisions to the engineering team.
- Participate in procurement specifications, installation, and maintenance of Target systems.
- Lead designing and building the Target platform API with deep focus on non-functional requirement including scalability, availability, performance, etc. while being a strong advocate of extreme agile and DevOps practices across engineers.
- Work with engineering leaders to build a high performing engineering team and provide technical leadership, coaching, motivation and participate in the selection of technical talent.
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.About You:
- MSEE, MSCS degree or equivalent degree/experience
- 10+ years of relevant experience
- Detailed knowledge of GNU/Linux OS (at least 5 years of experience w/ administration of production grade services running on Linux server)
- Strong proficiency in Java
- Have deep understanding of some of the following concepts:
- Parallel Data Processing Algorithms
- Data Consistency Models
- Networking, technologies, latency, bandwidth
- Benchmarking, Performance Debugging, Performance monitoring
- Limiting-resource Identification
Strong exposure and experience with the following technologies:
- Hadoop (multi-node fully distributed Hadoop clusters)
- Have familiarity and experience with some of the following technologies:
- Proficiency in Python and C/C++ is a plus
- Possess a strong understanding of high-performance, large-scale system architecture design and implementation
- Experience with high-performance distributed and parallel processing, computer architecture, operating systems, synchronization, communication
- Experience in technology research and development
- Experience in strategic planning and setting technical direction
- Understand business fundamentals and how technologies can support business goals along with how to translate business vision into a technical strategy while understanding the financial implications
- Have proven leadership capabilities, the ability to influence others, interpersonal skills, and problem-solving skills
- Strong team player who understands concepts of teamwork and team effectiveness.
- Have excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills to convey complex technical solutions clearly to an organization
- Have excellent planning and organizational skills
- Proven track record in writing code that is correct, maintainable, testable, expressive, easy to change, efficient & fault-tolerant
- Extensive understanding of software development and design
This position may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target's needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location. A Full-Time Remote work arrangement means the team member works full-time from home or an alternate location that's not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year.The salary range is $105,800-$190,400 Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Find competitive benefits from financial and education to well-being and beyond.Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.