Position: Police officer – ONE (1) immediate opening will be filled
General Nature of Work: Performs police patrol, investigation, traffic regulation and related law enforcement activities.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent, supplemented by a MINIMUM two year community college degree or vocational school training in police science, law enforcement, criminal justice administration, public administration, or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Licensed Police Officer in the State of Minnesota or eligible to be licensed by November of 2022.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of modern law enforcement principles, procedures, techniques and equipment.
- Skill in operating the tools and equipment listed below.
- Ability to learn the applicable laws, ordinances, and Department rules and regulations. Ability to meet department’s physical standards and perform work requiring good physical condition. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers and supervisors. Ability to exercise sound judgment and follow verbal and written instructions. Ability to meet the special requirements listed below.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain by time of hire, a valid MN Driver's License without record of suspension or revocation in any state.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and be able to speak, read, and write the English language.
- Must successfully complete the Field Training Officer Program.
- Must be of good moral character and of temperate and industrious habits.
- Must possess and maintain Basic First Aid, AED and CPR certifications.
- Must be clear of disqualifying convictions or disqualifying criminal history.
- Within six months of hire, must establish and maintain residency within 30 minutes (under normal driving conditions) of the law enforcement center.
PURPOSE: Hire one (1) Full time Officer and establish an eligibility list for Police Officers
SUPERVISION: Works under the general supervision of the Police Sergeants, Captain & Chief
SALARY RANGE: Starting salary is $29.17 /hour with top pay of $36.95 / $76,850 annually. (Lateral pay may be available) A monthly health care benefit is also paid at minimum of $1100/month single and $1500 for family coverage.
PROCESS: Includes training & experience rating, oral interview, fitness testing, extensive background investigation, psychological exam and physical exam.
- NOTE: Applicants must be licensed or eligible to be licensed by November of 2022.
INTERVIEWS: August 4th, 2022 (In-person and/or Virtual)
DEADLINE: Applications must be received by 4:00 p.m. Friday, July 29, 2022.
APPLICATIONS: On-line at www.ci.bemidji.mn.us
QUESTIONS? Contact the HR Coordinator, Bobbi Fisher, at (218) 759-3562 or Bobbi.Fisher@ci.bemidji.mn.us or visit City Hall at 317 4th Street NW, Bemidji