Description: Food ScientistClassification: Exempt Date: August 2022About Us:
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It's how we care, grow, and win together.
Join a dynamic team of inventive and passionate engineers, food scientists, and sourcing managers in Food & Beverage Product Design & Sourcing at Target to influence the taste, quality and value that decisively positions Target above the competition. We concept, develop, source, and deliver our owned brand foods and beverages; everything from dry goods, snacks and beverages, to candy, fresh, frozen and dairy. We research and engage with the food industry and the consumer marketplace to stay current on technical advances and get ahead of the trends. As a Food Scientist in our Innovation Engine team, you will be in charge of developing innovative products that deliver upon our long-term innovation goals.
This team is passionate about the foods we develop to inspire and delight our Target guests. Utilize your passion for food and discovery to bring key trend insights to our product development team. Your ability to keep your finger on the pulse of all things trend & innovation and synthesize data into insights will influence our product strategy and development pipeline. Bring your design skills, curiosity, and storytelling expertise to our talented team of creative, culinary & scientific minds with visionary goals to lead the industry in best-in-class food product design and development.
As a Food & Beverage Scientist, you will need to:
- Understand your business's strategic initiatives and proactively work to implement supporting technical solutions
- Partner with Insights Teams to understand guest needs and turn concepts into product ideas that meet those requirements
- Leverage understanding of product/process/packaging interactions in conjunction with supply chain requirements to ensure robust product design that delivers consistent product performance
- Leverage understanding of general manufacturing to develop innovative products that can be scaled
- Be accountable for developing products for concepts that meet our guest needs and our brands intent and quality
- Partner with appropriate cross-functional team members and vendors to develop scalable product solutions
- Take a diligent approach to workload, maintaining good, timely communication with suppliers, team members and CFTs
- Understand the product commercialization process and have accountability for meeting deadlines
- Be a committed team player who can be counted on to do their part and be relied on to work cooperatively with others, comfortable wearing multiple hats as needed
- Appropriately leverage your knowledge and expertise to suggest COG, negotiations, sustainability and other ROI improvements to their director and the broader CFT
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- B.S. in Food Science, Chemical Engineering or related discipline
- 4-8 years' relevant experience
- Strong food product development and formulation including cost drivers, ingredient interactions, and technical feasibility (Culinary experience a plus)
- Working knowledge of product manufacturing (CPG experience a plus)
- Passion for innovation, and comfortable working on gray/undefined areas
- Strong curiosity, problem solving, creative thinking, and strategic thinking skills
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Demonstrated business understanding and acumen
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.