Executive Director, Minnesota Deer Hunters Association (MDHA)
Grand Rapids, MN State Office – 460 Peterson Road, Grand Rapids, MN 55744
Permanent, Full – Time, Salary
Starting at $70,000 Dependent on Qualifications
Paid Time Off
Executive Director will lead and influence MDHA towards growth in accordance with the strategic plan set by the Board of Directors, the Corporate Bylaws and MDHA’s mission of building our MN Hunting and Conservation Legacy through education, habitat and advocacy.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Director’s job duties include:
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors pursuing the vision and strategic plan to guide MDHA. Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect MDHA. Foster effective team work between the Board, Executive Director, staff and chapters. Conduct official correspondence on behalf of MDHA. Represent MDHA at events in ways that strengthen the brand and communicate the mission.
- Develop and implement an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic plan and mission of MDHA.
- Work to ensure operation of the organization meets majority of expectations of its members, Chapters, Board and stakeholders.
- Draft organizational policies and procedures for Board approval. Ensure policies are reviewed on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate.
- Oversee planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of MDHA programs, services, and special projects.
- Monitor operations to ensure employees and business practices comply with regulatory and legal requirements.
- Identify, recruit, train and develop a team of employees who can lead departments and manage business functions to help further MDHA’s mission.
- Work with staff and Finance Committee to prepare a comprehensive budget.
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fund raising plans and implement funding proposals.
- Administer the funds of MDHA according to the approved budget and monitor cash flow.
- Develop the MDHA culture, promote transparency, and collaboration throughout the organization. Establish relationships and partnerships with other conservation groups, donors, sponsors, legislators and state agencies to help achieve the strategic goals of the organization.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Marketing preferred.
Minimum 5 years’ experience with proven leadership.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- MDHA’s mission and strategic plan goals
- Leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/voluntary organizations
- Current legislative issues regarding MDHA mission related concerns
- Human resources management
- Financial management
- Project management and implementation
- Proficiency in public speaking
- Proficient in written communication
- Building partnerships and collaborators
- Proficiency in the use of computers
- Marketing experience
- Magazine publication management
The Executive Director must demonstrate competence in adaptability, ethics, building relationships, communicating effectively, creativity and innovation, be able to focus on needs, foster teamwork, lead, make decisions, organize, plan, solve problems and think strategically.
- Executive Director usually works in an office environment, but the mission of the organization will sometimes take them to non-standard workplaces.
- Executive Director works a standard work week, but will often work evenings, weekends, and extra hours to accommodate activities such as Board meetings and other public events.