SUPERVISING ATTORNEY (MDLC) – FULL-TIME (Hybrid)
SUPERVISING ATTORNEY (MDLC) – FULL-TIME
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA) is seeking a full-time, experienced supervising attorney for the Minnesota Disability Law Center (MDLC). The supervisor will focus primarily on special education and employment advocacy and litigation to advance the dignity, self-determination, and equality of individuals with disabilities. This position will be based in MMLA’s Minneapolis office, with some statewide travel required. This position is also in a hybrid work environment.
As an equal opportunity employer, MMLA is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. We welcome information about how your experience can contribute to serving our diverse client communities. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter how they can further our goal of equal justice for all. We are committed to a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace.
BACKGROUND: MDLC is a statewide project of MMLA and is the designated agency to protect and advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities in Minnesota. MMLA's mission is to advocate for the legal rights of disadvantaged people to have safe, healthy, and independent lives in their communities. MMLA provides civil legal representation to clients with low incomes and seniors in 21 counties in central Minnesota, and to people with disabilities throughout the state. MMLA and MDLC receive funding from a variety of public and private sources and enjoy strong support from the organized bar.
- Apply the principles of MMLA's Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions.
- Supervise attorneys and legal advocates.
- Participate in management of MDLC as a member of the MDLC supervisor team.
- Hire, onboard, and train new staff.
- Provide legal services and advice to individuals, which may include legal advocacy, negotiation, mediation, litigation, and handling of administrative and court proceedings.
- Interview clients, review records, manage caseload, and conduct legal research.
- Engage in systemic or complex litigation. Educate policymakers on education and employment policy, including serving on statewide councils and task forces.
- Manage federal grants related to MDLC’s employment and education work.
- Draft reports and other materials related to MDLC’s education and employment work.
- Handle client grievances.
- Conduct trainings, outreach, and community education.
- Monitor facilities across the state that serve people with disabilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be licensed to practice law in Minnesota or eligible for admission by reciprocity.
- Three or more years of disability rights experience.
- Demonstrated legal skills, including:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective litigation outcomes.
- Proven record of effective case handling and outcomes.
- Access to reliable transportation, as statewide travel is required.
- Government security clearance and fingerprinting is required for this position by the Social Security Administration.
- Commitment to working as a team member to serve clients’ needs.
- Five or more years of disability rights experience.
- Experience supervising and/or mentoring staff.
- Second language ability, particularly Spanish, ASL, Hmong, or Somali.
- Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences.
SALARY: $64,601 to $77,353 per year, depending on experience, plus benefits. Benefits include family medical and dental insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match, FSA, employee assistance programs, and generous paid time off.
APPLICATIONS: Submit resume, cover letter expressing interest in the position, and three job-related references online at https://mylegalaid.org/employment until position is filled.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in our employee selection process, please contact Micaela Schuneman at email@example.com.
Please direct all other inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.