- Full time, exempt
- Location: St. Paul, Minn., office with frequent travel throughout Minnesota
Minnesota Counties Intergovernmental Trust (MCIT) offers a competitive benefits package including:
- Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) pension and optional Section 457(b) deferred compensation program
- Group health and dental insurance
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness program eligibility: MCIT employees may qualify for this federal program to forgive student loan debt
- Employer-paid short- and long-term disability insurance
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Optional employee-paid life and vision insurance
- Free off-street parking provided
The staff counsel is key to helping MCIT carry out its mission of providing cost-effective coverage with comprehensive and quality risk management services to its members by assisting members in reducing their property, liability and workers’ compensation claims.
MCIT is a joint powers government entity made up of Minnesota counties and associated public entities that pool resources to provide property, liability and workers’ compensation coverage to members. MCIT offers a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a pension plan.
Under the direction and supervision of the executive director, staff counsel:
- Serves as a legal resource for MCIT staff
- Provides risk management advice to members as needed
- Conducts legal research on claims, risk management, loss control and other issues; and provides written and oral reports as needed
- Writes articles and resources for MCIT publications
- Participates in risk management and loss control meetings as a resource, speaker or discussion leader
- Researches and develops an understanding of Minnesota Government Data Practices Act and records retention requirements for local entities and the organization
- Develops, delivers and coordinates training sessions to audiences of various sizes as needed
- Monitors and researches proposed legislation pertinent to MCIT
- Reviews and drafts routine contracts and agreements consistent with MCIT contract guidelines
- Law Degree
- Licensed as an attorney and authorized to practice law in the State of Minnesota
- Minimum of three years of experience in law, government, service organizations or the insurance industry
- Possess and maintain a valid motor vehicle driver’s license
- Access to a reliable vehicle
- Experience working as legal counsel for or with federal, state or local government
- Familiarity with the principles of Minnesota municipal law, federal civil rights law, employment-related laws and/or Minnesota workers’ compensation law
- Experience with public speaking, developing presentations and conducting trainings
- Experience working as legal counsel for or with county government or a government joint risk sharing pool
Download the staff counsel position description for a full list of duties, responsibilities and requirements.
- All applicants must:
- Complete an online employment application
- Provide a cover letter and résumé. The cover letter must identify how the applicant’s experience and abilities align with the position description. Résumés without applications and cover letters will not be accepted.
- Applicants selected for interview may be asked to provide a writing sample.
- Application deadline:
- Open until Sept. 23, 2022, unless filled earlier.
- Submission deadline for first review: Aug. 12, 2022.
- Applicants who want to claim veterans preference must complete the Veterans Preference Claim form.
Direct questions to Linda Podritz at email@example.com or 651.209.6400.
MCIT is an equal opportunity employer.