Location: Fergus Falls, MN* with up to two days per week remote available
* Full remote work within Minnesota, North Dakota, or South Dakota will be considered. Regular time working from our Fergus Falls location will be required during the first year.
At Otter Tail Power Company, our employees help us serve the communities we support by producing reliable, affordable, and environmentally responsible electricity. Employee impact takes many forms. In this role, the Associate General Counsel-Regulatory will advise leadership and management on State and Federal regulatory laws and regulations and to represent the company before our state and federal commissions. Our successful employees ensure that our customers and communities have the power they need for modern life.
Other areas in which the Associate General Counsel will work include:
- Advise management in business-related matters, negotiate, interpret laws and regulations, and prepare legal documents.
- Manage activities related to litigation and regulatory matters and provide direction to outside counsel to ensure Otter Tail Power Company’s interests are protected and advanced.
- Represent the Company before the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission, North Dakota Public Service Commission, the South Dakota Public Utilities Commission, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on rate, compliance, investigatory and energy facility permitting and siting matters.
- Collaborate with various internal teams including Asset Management on transmission and construction-related agreements, Regulatory to manage briefs, replies and other advocacy filings and Customer Service to advise in territorial disputes, utility franchises, customer service matters, and tribal affairs.
- Provide counsel relating to land rights, easement acquisition and, as necessary, condemnation. Represent the utility in right-of-way, third-party and company siting/use and other local governmental matters.
- Facilitate discovery responses, depositions, preparation of motion papers and preparation for trial.
- Litigate, negotiate, and settle, when appropriate, contested regulatory matters, including general rate cases, other rate recovery proceedings, contested FERC filings, and non-rate related proceedings.
- Supervise and direct the activities of outside counsel to ensure Otter Tail Power Company receives responsive, cost effective and valuable legal services.
We’re seeking candidates with a wide range of skills who are motivated to deeply understand complex and technical information in order to advise stakeholders to the best path forward while aligning with our core values: Integrity, Community, Safety, Resourcefulness, Customer Service and People. Some examples of what we’re looking for include:
- Our top candidates will be able to strategically identify critical and priority issues and define appropriate action. They will have demonstrated their ability for developing and interpreting legal and regulatory contracts and orders.
- Direct experience in and demonstrated knowledge of federal and state regulatory models, regulation of business, economics of regulated (monopoly) industries, energy industry, utility rates and operations, broad understanding of stakeholder and other industry processes combined with an appreciation of the wider political, regulatory and industry environment.
- There is a lot of innovation in our industry, and we want positive, resilient people who can prioritize under unexpected or difficult deadlines and skillfully represent Otter Tail Power Company in a congenial and constructive manner.
- This position will work with varied individuals, stakeholders, and teams such that superior leadership, interpersonal and communications skills, including research, technical and legal writing, oral and presentation, are required for success.
- Must be licensed to practice in one of the following states: Minnesota, North Dakota, or South Dakota and be able to be licensed in all three of these states within 6 months of hire.
- At least 10 years of energy-related experience at a reputable law firm and/or in-house attorney at a utility.
- J.D. degree from an American Bar Association (ABA) accredited law school
We believe employment is a partnership and we expect excellence from our talented employees. To support our employees and help them thrive in their career experience and goals, we offer:
- Competitive wage & benefit package.
Career development is critical to our long-term success. Otter Tail Power employees have opportunities to participate in various leadership development programs, gain access to an a la carte online leadership course catalog, receive mentorship from current leaders and more! Access to mental health support from the experts at The Village Family Service Center.
- Employee Stock Ownership options
- Retirement Savings Fund with employer match
- Health insurance plan options
We’ll accept applications through August 31, 2022
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.