As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It's how we care, grow, and win together.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We're the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target's passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world's best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies-and the brightest people-to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
Flagship Mobile Apps:
Work on the team that brings Target guests their "shopping and saving sidekick" - the guest-facing Target Android and iOS shopping app.
Android Platform Team:
This position is for the Android Platform team within Flagship Mobile Apps at Target. As a team, we enjoy tackling big problems in a large and complex Android codebase. We are continually assessing new Android technologies and building on our vision for keeping Target's Android app stable, fast, and a joy for others to code in. We love building things for other engineers, and we get joy in knowing other Android engineers can do their job more effectively due to our contributions. If any of this excites you, we would love to have you join us!
As a Senior Android Engineer on the Mobile Platform team, you will:
• Help advance our architecture and abstractions, allowing our code to continue to scale and empowering feature teams to deliver with ever increasing autonomy.
• Improve and maintain our mobile apps CI and CD infrastructure and pipelines.
• Develop clean, well-tested code to deliver functionality that meets the broader engineering team's needs.
• Build and maintain developer tools to help our feature teams work effectively.
• Develop libraries and foundations in areas such as build tools, testing, analytics, networking, and logging.
• Solicit feedback from the development team to help drive a great overall developer experience.
• Mentor junior engineers to provide guidance on coding and design best practices for Android apps.
• Provide high level tooling support to feature team engineers during work hours.
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience
• 4+ years of experience in software design & development
• 3+ years of experience developing apps for Android
• Experience developing in Kotlin (Kotlin standard functions, data classes, etc.)
• Experience with test-driven development and software test automation
• Excellent debugging, performance and optimization skills
• Experience with distributing mobile applications via public app stores and/or enterprise channels
• Experience with integrating calls to backend services (REST or GraphQL, JSON, etc.)
• Excellent hands-on skills with Android application development tools, including Android Studio, Android SDK and ADT
If you have experience with any of the following, it's a bonus, but not required for the job. If working on a team that does these things and getting to learn them on the job sounds exciting, that is great too!
• Expertise in Android development, tools, and frameworks
• Integrating with third party frameworks, tools, and SDKs, such as Retrofit, OkHttp, Moshi, and Glide
• Reactive Programming (RxJava or coroutines / flow)
• Dependency injection (Dagger and Hilt)
• Common Android architectures (MVVM)
• Experience with authenticated session using OAuth and authenticated tokens
• Accessibility experience
• Continuous delivery in mobile, including Test- or Behavior-Driven Design, code review, static analysis, continuous integration, automation and functional testing.
• Experience with build systems on highly modularized apps (Gradle, custom plugins)
• Static and dynamic analyzers (Android lint, ktlint, Custom Rules)
• Code generators (annotation processors, kotlin compiler plugins)
• Experience with Jetpack Compose and building Design Systems libraries
This position may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target's needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location. A Full-Time Remote work arrangement means the team member works full-time from home or an alternate location that's not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada residents is $81,400 to $146,500. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Find competitive benefits from financial and education to well-being and beyond.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.