POSITION TITLE: Communications Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Public Affairs
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Director of Public Affairs
EMPLOYEE GROUP: TEMPO
LOCATION: St. Paul Headquarters
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: 1 Year
FLSA/GRADE LEVEL: Exempt
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Research, write, and edit internal and external communications for Education Minnesota through a variety of communications avenues.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Research, write, edit, and publish internal and external communications.
- Conduct research on education issues and organizations.
- Provide writing, proofreading, and editing services for a variety of projects as directed by manager, including internal organizing and legislative materials.
- Collaborate with other staff on news conferences and briefings as appropriate, including preparing Education Minnesota union leaders, educator members, and coalition partners.
- Write opinion pieces for major newspapers and other news outlets.
- Coordinate Education Minnesota public events as directed by manager.
- Provide communications counsel, including strategic and message development advice, to Education Minnesota staff, leaders, and members.
- Develop and present training programs and materials for Education Minnesota staff, leaders, and members.
- Participate in the formulation of the union’s communication and legislative agendas with member committees and other staff.
- Participate in internal and external anti-racist trainings to support growth and individual racial equity goals, including assessments of intercultural competence.
- Write articles for the Minnesota Educator and support the content on the Education Minnesota website and social media channels and other media relations activities.
- Attend various internal and external meetings as assigned.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communications/public relations skills, including writing and editing.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and work independently in accomplishing objectives and goals in meeting numerous deadlines.
- Experience with website content management platforms and social media channels.
- Demonstrated ability to perform and work well in a dynamic team setting under deadlines/pressures.
- Ability to think both strategically and creatively to solve problems.
- Accurate word processing and editing skills.
- High tolerance for interruptions; ability to switch gears quickly.
- B.A. degree and a minimum three years’ experience in a news reporting, copy editing position, or another closely related communications field or
- AA/AS degree and five years’ experience in a news reporting, copy editing position, or another closely related communications field.
- Valid Minnesota driver’s license.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (vaccination card). If you have a medical exemption, you will be asked to provide a written waiver from your medical provider. If you have a religious objection, you will be asked to provide documentation stating your religious objection.
- Strong knowledge of education issues, policy and finance.
- Policy research experience.
- Strong photography and video skills.
- Experience running live videos and virtual press conferences.
- B.A. degree in journalism or mass communications.
Maintain confidential information related to the organization and all employees and staff.
MACHINES AND/OR TOOLS OPERATED:
- Personal computer
- Internet and browser software
- Windows-based word processing software
- Website, social media and other Internet services
Work is in a general office environment. Employee is required to: talk and hear; have color vision, frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically lift and carry up to 40 pounds; occasionally lift up to 75 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
- Some travel with overnight stays
- Frequent evening and weekend work required.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported, and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications; merit and business need with preference given to people of color.
POSTING DEADLINE: For best consideration, apply online and include a resume. Posting is open until filled.
APPLY HERE: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=faa82ad6-58ce-4071-80c8-3e481e725e0a&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=449223&source=CC2&lang=en_US