PRINCIPAL ENGINEER - OBSERVABILITY TEAM
The Observability product team develops innovative ways to enable operational visibility so that well-informed actions can be taken at speed and scale. Think of us as the internal SaaS provider for all of Target's Observability needs.
In today's world, Guests' technologies expectations are very, very high. When they login to Target.com, they expect it to be available, performant, and quite simply work. When they choose the drive-up fulfillment option, they expect their order to be available for pickup, the same day, in a couple hours. To meet these expectations, Target needs to have confidence that our technologies are meeting the guest's needs. Product teams across all of Target can gain this confidence by consuming our Observability offerings.
We want a principal engineer who is passionate about observability and motivated by solving problems which oftentimes have not been solved anywhere with open source or vendor solutions. Due to Target's sheer size...we manage many petabytes of observability data.... existing solutions are often not the right ones for us. If you're excited about the possibilities of observability, providing technical leadership to a team of brilliant full-stack engineers, and working across teams to integrate our product offerings into the overall infrastructure platform to provide an outstanding developer experience, we want to meet you.Here's a smattering of approaches important to us, and the technologies we use:
Target's Observability Team Wants Your Help To:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core to our culture.
- Meeting the reliability and performance commitments made to our customers are the most important parts of our job.
- Our engineering teams are empowered to choose the right technology to solve the problem. Some common technologies currently in use include: Golang, Java, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, GitHub, Artifactory, the elastic stack, InfluxDB, Grafana, Postgres, React, the Google Cloud Platform and Azure.
- Everything we do is "as-code" in version control. We don't like clicking buttons or doing things manually.
- All changes go through a pull-request process, so you'll always have a way to thumbs up or down things you catch.
- Nearly everything should have test cases and go through a continuous integration/continuous deployment process.
- Continuous learning and improvement are core values.
- Provide overall technical leadership and technical direction for all our Observability offerings.
- Experiment with new approaches to existing problems that increase the value of our offerings by improving the customer experience, creating new features, improving reliability, simplifying operations, and increasing efficiency.
- Architect, design and implement...
- APIs, microservices, and libraries that enable scalability, reliability and make it super simple for customers to consume our offerings.
- Observable systems to deeply understand how customers experience your product.
- Products that works seamlessly across multiple clouds (public and on-prem) and distributed environments (aka 1800+ stores and 50+ warehouses).
- Seamlessly integrate products into the platform with a delightful user experience to make Target the best place in retail to write and deliver software.
- Create new and contribute to existing open source projects.
- Evangelize an Agile mindset within Target.
- Extensive experience...
- Monitoring, telemetry, and observability experience.
- Building and operating large, distributed data sets.
- Building and deploying scalable APIs and microservices.
- Utilizing version control products, preferably with Git.
- With Linux or Unix operating systems including Unix shell and scripting.
- Working in an agile environment.
- Instrumenting products with telemetry to make them observable.
- Coaching and mentoring engineers on engineering practices and technologies.
- Strong sense of ownership and the ability to work with a limited set of requirements.
- Previous contributions to open source projects.
- 4-year degree OR equivalent experience
- 7+ years of professional software engineering experience with proficiency in major programming languages like Java, Python, and/or Golang.
- Experience with Big Data technologies and services.
- Has in-depth knowledge of technical approaches to design, build, test, and debug problems as required by domain.
- Maintains technical knowledge within areas of expertise.
- Stays current with new and evolving technologies.
This position may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target's needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location. A Full-Time Remote work arrangement means the team member works full-time from home or an alternate location that's not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year.
The salary range is $137,500-$247,500.
Pay is based on several factors which may include, but are not limited to education, work experience, certifications, labor markets, etc. In addition to your salary, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Find competitive benefits from financial and education to well-being and beyond.Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.