Description: Director Counsel, Privacy & Data SecurityClassification: ExemptOctober 2022About us:
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work, and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It's how we care, grow, and win together.
To match the signature style and passion of Target's distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. This team advocates for Target and its business and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with business and legal advice. Here, you'll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business and building relationships with the senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. Focusing on providing guidance on cutting edge issues in the dynamic space of privacy and data security law, you'll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
In this role, you'll provide the highest level of expertise as you counsel Target's business and compliance teams regarding various areas of privacy and data security law applicable to our business, including state, federal, and international laws such as the FTC Act, CCPA/CPRA, VDPA, TCPA, GLBA, HIPAA, COPPA, CAN-SPAM, and state data breach notification laws. You will provide legal advice in areas related to Target's guest and team member data management practices, marketing programs, emerging technologies, corporate and ESG governance, and government inquiries. You will stay up to date on industry and legal trends and provide advice regarding legislative proposals. You will work with a wide variety of business partners to provide timely, thorough and strategic legal advice on business projects, governance issues, policies, record retention, and contracts. You will collaborate closely with Target's compliance teams in the building and maintenance of compliance programs. You will be a key member of Target's cybersecurity incident response team. You will interact with external stakeholders such as trade organizations and government representatives. You will create and provide both written and in-person training and self-help tools and manage outside counsel resources. In this individual contributor role, you will work independently with minimal direct supervision.
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.About you:
- J.D. degree from accredited law school; admitted or eligible for admission to Minnesota bar
- 5+ years legal experience in a law firm, in-house, or government capacity, working in the area of privacy and data security
- Deep experience in counseling regarding state and federal privacy laws and regulations as they relate to consumers, including policy drafting and compliance with laws regarding the collection, use and sharing of personal information. Experience counseling in the retail or consumer technology environment is helpful, but not required.
- Experience in counseling regarding data security issues, including incident response
- Ability to independently drive accountability and influence outcomes
- Analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to distill complex or ambiguous issues into concise and actionable advice
- Demonstrated ability to strike a balance between risks and business goals
- Highly organized, with the ability to adapt, prioritize and successfully manage multiple tasks or projects in response to changing or competing priorities
- Ability to develop effective written and verbal communications and presentations for all levels of leadership; comfortable presenting information to large groups across all levels of the organization
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Strong team player, with the ability to collaborate effectively with peers to allocate work and respond to business needs
This position may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target's needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location. A Full-Time Remote work arrangement means the team member works full-time from home or an alternate location that's not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.