Teen Program Specialist
2 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Home is the foundation for everything in life. Since 1971, our model has been about supporting residents in finding stability and achieving their goals. It’s why we’re more than housing—we combine quality affordable homes with our on-site Advantage Services—because we believe that with the right support and opportunities, all people can thrive. Today, over 13,000 people—families, seniors, veterans, and people with disabilities and other barriers—call a CommonBond community “home.” Our core values are Respect, Integrity, Partnership, Innovation, and Excellence. We live these values and look for people who embody them to represent our organization in the community. If this sounds like you, please consider joining our team.
Why CommonBond Communities?:
- Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package
- Employee recognition and rewards program
- Employee referral program
- A respectful and growth-oriented workplace
- Ongoing training and professional development
- A chance to make a difference in the community!
CommonBond Communities invites qualified applicants to apply for our part-time (25 hours per week) Teen Program Specialist position at our Torre de San Miguel Townhomes property in St. Paul, MN. The Teen Program Specialist works with Advantage Services staff to plan and implement youth mentoring and homework help programs for 7-12th graders. School Year Schedule: Monday- Thursday 12:00pm - 6:30pm. Summer Schedule: Monday - Thursday 10:00am - 5:00pm.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND ASSOCIATED TASKS
- Plan engaging enrichment, leadership and service learning activities for small groups of youth.
- Identify and implement Reading and Math activities to meet individual youth academic needs.
- Work in collaboration with the team to plan family events, parent involvement activities, field trips, and other programs as needed.
- Network with local youth serving agencies.
- Provide homework assistance and academic support to youth during after-school hours, including one to one and small group tutoring/mentoring.
- Assist in designing, implementing and managing school release day and summer programming for youth in seventh through twelfth grade.
- Facilitate small and large group activities.
- Enforce guidelines for student behavior in all areas of youth programs.
- Provide general support to volunteers assisting with programs.
- Recruit youth to participate in programs.
- Organize and maintain materials needed for all youth activities, including snacks, games, books, software, etc.
- Maintain accurate records and enter data into online database to reflect daily attendance and program content.
- Produce other program information as needed.
Advantage Center program support
- Provide residents with referrals to other staff and programs
- Work with team to coordinate and promote special events
- Work on other duties and projects as directed by the Program Manager/Coordinator.
- Participate in youth program staff meetings and trainings.
- Work collaboratively with the site Advantage Services team.
- Promote problem solving and creative approaches to program challenges.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Ability to tutor youth with 7th through 12th grade levels of homework.
- Experience working in education, youth development, human services or social services.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Available to work M-Th 12 pm – 6:30pm for a total of 25 hours per week.
- Must be at least 18 years of age to apply.
- Ability to utilize Microsoft Office Software programs including Word and Excel.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with people with limited English skills.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bi-lingual in English and Somali, or English and Oromo.
- Post secondary education.
- Education, experience or training in Elementary or Secondary Education.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to open and close file drawers.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to file documents.
- Ability to type data into a computer.
- Must have access to reliable transportation
- Must be willing and able to travel between assigned sites.