Health Care that Starts with You!
Join a truly mission-driven organization! Independent, nonprofit UCare is recognized as one of the Minnesota's leading health plans. We provide more than 600,000 members across Minnesota and western Wisconsin with the health coverage plans and services they need to maintain and improve their health. The innovative coverage we create makes a difference for Medicare-eligible individuals, individuals and families enrolled in Minnesota Health Care Programs, such as MinnesotaCare and Medical Assistance, and disabled adults with special health care needs.
UCare is growing in size, membership, products, geographic coverage, and employees. We're an organization that's going places. Be part of a team that cares about you, be part of UCare.
Enter a highly collaborative environment where people are truly engaged, and feedback is valued. You'll enjoy a competitive salary and benefits, as well as a host of other perks, including a nationally recognized wellness program, and a bright, open, award-winning office space in Northeast Minneapolis just minutes from major freeways and retail centers.
At UCare, we welcome and employ a diverse employee group committed to meeting the needs of UCare, our members, and the communities we serve.
UCare offers Medicare, Medicaid, Individual and Family health plans - powered by the hardest working people in the industry. Our people powered teams de-complicate, advocate and always go the extra mile to help our members. We serve with integrity, compassion and commitment to do right by members, providers and government partners. Above all, we come to work excited to provide members a path for the best health of their lives.
WORKING AT UCARE
Working at UCare is more than a career; it's a mission. A mission that defines us as professionals, unites us as an organization and shapes how we interact with our members and each other. Employees join UCare and stay because of the opportunity to have a purpose-driven job.
Our strong culture has established UCare as a Star Tribune Top 200 Workplace for 13 consecutive years since the awards program began. It's a culture that embraces innovative ideas, strategic partnerships, and exemplary customer and provider experiences. Working at UCare is being a part of a people powered team dedicated to making a real difference in the lives of our members and communities.
PUBLIC AFFAIRS MANAGER
Work Location: Office for Your Day
The health and safety of our employees, members, providers, and our community is our highest priority. Therefore, all new employees are expected to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to starting at UCare, subject to limited exceptions such as for a sincerely held religious belief or for medical reasons.
This position is responsible to be the primary lobbyist at the Minnesota State Capitol and represent UCare at external public policy meetings, trade associations and functions. Coordinate, communicate and advocate UCare's public policy positions internally and externally and bill tracking. Enter new laws impacting UCare into UCare's web-based platform used for activities related to compliance with state and federal legislation.
• Manage UCare's Minnesota legislative relations activities including tracking bill introductions, monitoring legislative hearings, and monitoring other public forums on health policy. Manage bill tracking and legislative analysis in other states, as directed. Enter enacted legislation impacting UCare into UCare's platform used for activities related to compliance with legislation.
• Communicate UCare's public policy position(s) to state and federal legislators, trade associations, other external constituencies, and other policy forums. Collaborate and work with state associations, including the Minnesota Council of Health Plans and other healthcare lobbyists, on legislation in the best interests of UCare. Provide leadership on key legislative issues on behalf of UCare in collaboration with the Minnesota Council of Health Plans and other relevant community partners.
• Coordinate, develop and analyze UCare's internal positions on state public policy. Prepare detailed position statements and papers that articulate UCare's positions on various topics. Coordinate with the Government Relations and Legal departments and other internal stakeholders to establish policy positions. Regularly check with key UCare staff, departments and teams impacted by legislation to identify emerging policy issues and positions.
• Assist the Vice President of Public Affairs with UCare's federal lobbying efforts including the development of policies and positions and lobbying, as directed. Monitor various trade association meetings and distribute notes and analysis to relevant staff.
• Prepare and maintain UCare's public facing materials including facts sheets, written statements, testimony, and/or talking points for distribution. Present information to UCare staff and external groups as appropriate. Provide regular written and verbal updates and political analysis to UCare leaders.
• Proactively identify and implement public policy initiatives and forums to enhance the public health and wellness of the members UCare serves.
• Other projects and duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in health-related field or liberal arts; demonstrated experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
Five years of government relations/affairs experience in the healthcare industry. Proven exposure to legislative and governmental process in a healthcare delivery setting such as a physician group practice, health insurance, HMO, community service agency or within state government. Experience interpreting state and federal legislation and regulations. Considerable knowledge of a wide variety of state government functions, policies, and procedures. Regular travel to Minnesota Capitol and occasional travel outside of Minnesota.
THE UCARE DIFFERENCE
The UCare difference is our people power - employees actively working on the behalf of our members to get them access to the health care they need. We value and respect each individual's ideas and contributions, and provide the freedom to grow both personally and professionally. We are centrally located, and offer onsite education, equipment and wellness resources, and a myriad of volunteer activities. If you're looking for an inclusive environment that celebrates your people power, helps you build on your strengths and gives you the opportunity to truly make a difference, we invite you to apply.
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, we welcome and employ a diverse employee group committed to meeting the needs of UCare, our members, and the communities we serve.
JOB POST DATE: 11/2/2022