The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison — one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices and recognized as a Star Tribune Top Workplace Minnesota 2021/2022 and a Top Workplaces USA 2022 — has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity, safety, and respect. We are a dynamic group of dedicated professionals who could all work elsewhere but choose public service as a calling, and we are actively building an internal culture that supports that calling.
The Office is seeking a Legal Secretary to support the Public Safety division in our Town Square Tower office location. Specifically, this position will support attorneys and paralegals as directed by the Legal Secretary Senior and the supervisor.
The work includes but is not limited to preparing legal documents and briefs, efiling, filing, serving legal documents, opening and closing files, retaining records, and occasionally transcribing documents.
- Knowledge of:
- English sufficient to perform the job duties described above, using, reading, writing, and speaking skills to communicate effectively Legal terminology sufficient to draft a variety of legal documents
- Skill in:
- Typing/Keyboarding sufficient to perform skilled typing tasks with speed and accuracy
- Word processing sufficient to type, format, edit, and finalize legal documents and other written materials, ensuring they are properly formatted, grammatically correct, and error-free
- Customer service sufficient to provide courteous, effective, and timely service to coworkers, other staff, clients, opposing counsel, etc.
- Ability to:
- Use or readily learn database management techniques sufficient to access, enter, edit/update, format, and print information in databases
- Knowledge of:
- Legal documents that include but are not limited to legal pleadings, briefs, appellate court notices and motions, memoranda of law, legislation, transcripts, delegation orders, correspondence, search warrants, complaints, memos, charts, service letters, and affidavits of service
- eFiling procedures in various courts
- Completion of a legal secretary, legal administrative assistant, or related post-secondary training program or certification; OR two or more years as a legal secretary
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation, and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Public service with this office may qualify applicants to have part of their student loans forgiven under a federal student loan forgiveness program for state government employees. (Visit www.studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.)
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence, and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply online through the State of Minnesota Careers website, which is the State’s official application and hiring site. The deadline for applications is November 30, 2022.
- Go to www.mn.gov/careers;
- Apply for posting number 60739
- Direct Link
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Jake Pleschourt, Human Resources Generalist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 757-1057.