Description: ASSOCIATE PRODUCT SCIENTISTClassification: Exempt Date: November 2022About Us:
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It's how we care, grow, and win together.
At the heart of one of the world's best-loved and most recognizable brands is an impeccable Product Development & Design organization. We thrive on the magic of discovering that just-right thing, and we infuse everything we do with our passion for delighting our guests. We concept, develop, make and deliver the great tasting new favorites that Target guests expect and deserve. We are uber-savvy trend, design, and quality experts who stay ahead of the curve, proactively identifying our market's needs and exceeding them, every time. Join one of our dynamic and inventive teams to influence the design, quality and value that decisively position Target above the competition. Your input will have a direct and positive effect, whether on convenient meals, snacking favorites, giftable, or pantry staples. Here, you will be close to the action of dreaming up and bringing to life the Target-owned brands that surprise and gratify guests, wherever and whenever they love to shop.
A role with Food Product Development means being on a team of food scientists and engineers who create products that truly embody the intent of Target owned brands. Can you ensure that each product has that just-right mix of taste, quality and value? Do you love to create product solutions that help meet strategic business goals? Then you will have success on our talented and innovative team.
We will support you along the way with robust onboarding, as well as personal and career development, to help you grow as a strong Food Product Development Scientist. The exciting part of retail? It is always changing! Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs
As a Scientist on our Product Development team, you will use your skills, experience, and guest centric mindset to support development of products for Target's owned brand food portfolio. You will work with a cross-functional team to assist in developing products and work closely with vendors to ensure brand vision is clearly understood and successfully brought to life with every product we offer.
- Support the product development team by understanding the business initiatives, product technical requirements and performance expectations to ensure consistency of product
- Partner with Insights Teams to understand guest needs and supports product development to meet those requirements
- Represent Product Development as part of a Cross Functional Team (including Merchants, Technical AOEs, and TSS) focused on taking owned brand products to appropriate levels of trend, quality and cost
- Diligent approach to workload, maintaining good, timely communication with suppliers, team members and CFTs
- Provide timely sample evaluations and ensure approvals of all products are meeting Target's standards
- Provide and maintain effective product technical specifications
- Understand competitors and benchmarks to be current on trend, quality and cost standards
- Develop a working knowledge of product manufacturing and vendor capability
- Initiate and support Technical Functional Reviews with FESQA, Sourcing, PD&D, Structural Packaging
- Support the timely resolution of all issues pertaining to the development and manufacturing of products
- Is a deployable resource for total team/total business needs; may be called upon to help with fundamental PD&D tasks as part of a supportive culture and/or to gain experience beyond their role
- Is a committed team player who can be counted on to do their part and be relied on to work cooperatively with others
- B.S. in Food Science, Chemical Engineering, or related discipline
- 1-4 years' relevant experience
- Fundamental knowledge and understanding of food product development and formulation, basic ingredient functionality and cost, and food manufacturing
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
- Effective problem solving, creative thinking, and strategic thinking skills
- Effective project management skills
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint skills
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.