Description: DIRECTOR COUNSEL, Retail StrategiesExemptNovember 2022About us:
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work, and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It's how we care, grow, and win together.
To match the signature style and passion of Target's distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. This team advocates for Target and its business and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with business and legal advice. Here, you'll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business and building relationships with the senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. Focusing on providing transactional support and legal guidance to Target's Marketing, Digital, and Merchandising teams, you'll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
Within Legal Affairs, the Retail Strategies team negotiates and constructs contracts that support our merchandising, marketing, digital, and technology strategies, and provides value-added legal guidance on marketing and advertising consumer protection laws that impact our business, as well as other legal issues central to the company's guest-facing initiatives. This position will focus on providing multi-faceted legal support to marketing, digital, and merchandising teams and initiatives, including Target's advertising, search, and media businesses, online marketplace program, loyalty program, and accounts payable, affiliate marketing, and marketing business affairs teams. You will have the opportunity to work with multiple internal business partners and legal colleagues on a wide variety of guest-facing initiatives.
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.About you:
- J.D. degree from accredited law school; admitted or eligible for admission to Minnesota bar
- 2+ years legal experience in a law firm or in-house capacity with experience drafting and negotiating contracts with consumer products, advertising, or technology companies.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and excited about learning about new business priorities and programs.
- Analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to distill complex or ambiguous issues into concise and actionable advice
- Demonstrated ability to strike a balance between risks and business goals
- Highly organized, with the ability to adapt, prioritize and successfully manage multiple tasks or projects in response to changing or competing priorities
- Ability to establish rapport and collaborate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to develop effective written and verbal communications and presentations for all levels of leadership; comfortable presenting information to large groups across all levels of the organization
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Strong team player, with the ability to collaborate effectively with peers to allocate work and respond to business needs
This position may be considered for a Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target's needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location. A Remote work arrangement means the team member works full-time from home or an alternate location that's not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year. Work duties cannot be performed outside of the country of the primary work location, unless otherwise prescribed by Target. The salary range is :$137,500.00 USD - $247,500.00 USD. Pay is based on several factors which may include, but are not limited to education, work experience, certifications, labor markets, etc. In addition to your salary, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Find competitive benefits from financial and education to well-being and beyond at https://corporate.target.com/careers/benefits.Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.