As a Summer Intern on the Data Science team, you will develop data science models and algorithms for our retail business. You will partner with engineers and scientists on your team to learn how a business requirement gets translated into a technical problem that can be solved using data science. You will work on technical problem within one of the many business domains where DS at Target operates; you will discover and develop solutions for our business with the support of your mentor and working group.
One of the great things about Data Science at Target is that we get to work on hard problems from many areas of our business! We apply DS methods to solve complex problems in Demand Forecasting, Supply Chain Optimization, Search Relevancy, and Personalized Recommendations and more! We rely on expertise in machine learning, operations research and optimization, statistical modeling, deep learning, computer vision, and reinforcement learning to tackle these problems. Intern candidates with education and experience in any of these areas could be a great match for the projects and problems that we are working on.
- Join us for a 10-week summer experience in Minneapolis, Minnesota getting exposed to Target's culture and work life
- Develop and deploy models/algorithms based on Statistics, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Dynamic Programing, Reinforcement Learning Algorithms etc.
- Implement solutions to complex problems in technical retail business setting
- Partner with and communicate clearly with AI scientists, engineers and business partners on the technical problems and desired solutions
- Review models and algorithms developed by team
- Work with technology or business partners to understand systems
What we're looking for:
- Working towards a graduate degree in a mathematical field such as math, statistics, computer science, physics, operations research, or bio-statistics
- Working knowledge in one or more of the following areas: machine learning, deep learning, reinforcement learning, operations research and optimization, or related areas both in theory and practice
- Proficiency in one or more of Python, Scala, Java or equivalent programming language
- Experience developing large-scale models/algorithms
- Understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Expertise in linear algebra, statistics, information theory or related mathematical domains
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiasm for trying new things!
Why work with us at Target?
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- AI at Target is a place where you can see the impact of your great work, whether it is behind the scenes improving business operations, or enhancing the guest experience on Target.com.
- We value diversity. We believe that diversity and inclusion is of core importance when try to create positive in-store experiences for our guests, and we think it is also critically important when building our teams. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- We value our team members. We treat out team members like people, not like cogs in a machine. We value our team members for who they are, not just what they can get done. We are parents, hobbyists, enthusiasts, family members, and community members, and can offer flexibility to our team members' schedules and work arrangements so that they can flourish both inside and outside of work.
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.