Description: JOIN TARGET AS LEAD DATA SCIENTIST - SUPPLY CHAIN OPTIMIZATION
Join the Target's Data Sciences team where we leverage operations research, simulation, and machine learning to help Target makes intelligent supply chain business decisions at scale. This involves writing high-performant, scalable code as well as designing analytical solutions to extract insights and to prescribe best courses of action.
You'll work in an environment that provides the freedom and agility of a startup - with the security and vast resources of a large established company with continuous learning opportunities provided. Our team aims to be inclusive, collaborative, highly motivated, smart, and humble!In this role at Target as a Lead Data Scientist, you will:
What we're looking for:
- Work closely with partner team data scientists to review and iterate on optimization and machine learning algorithms and develop state of the art mathematical models
- Work with engineers to design, deploy and productize models at scale. Our models run many times a day for millions of combinations of stock keeping units and distribution networks
- Work with business partners to learn about the retail business and processes in play
- Ideate and resolve tradeoffs between model granularity and features as well as performance, reliability, and usability of our codebase. Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Mentor and develop other data scientists and Ai engineers.
- You have a strong knowledge of supply chain optimization - inventory, transportation, sourcing, distribution, fulfillment, planning...
- You have a real passion and the technical skills for helping Target make data-informed decisions.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals and love rock-solid, well-structured, and efficient code: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, and information retrieval.
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- A passion for empirical research and answering hard questions with large scale data
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to the business and other data scientists/engineers is no problem for you.
- You understand that simplicity is hard but key to achieving maintainability and to being able to continually deliver value to the business.
- You have usability and convenience for business users in mind.
- M.S in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics or related quantitative fields
- 5+ years of professional experience writing modular and highly performant code and deploying algorithms in a production environment
- Proficient in predictive and prescriptive algorithms
- Proficient in one or more programming languages: Python, Java, Kotlin or C
- Strong engineering mindset and exposure to software engineering principles, Agile, data pipeline engineering, distributed systems, and machine learning at scale
- Experience leading large-scale implementations of optimization, simulation, machine learning and deep learning models
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Why work with us at Target Data Sciences?
- PhD degree or equivalent experience
- Proficient in application/software architecture (definition, business process modeling, etc.)
- Experience writing production datasets in SQL/Hive or building internal/production data tools for research or experimentation in a scripting language like Python
- We Care, Grown and Win Together!
- You'll work directly on the problems that have the most impact on Target's entire Recommendations/Personalization strategy for all Digital/Target.com products.
- We love open-source! Many of our team members contribute to open source communities and get to do it during work time. We try to contribute back to our communities where we can and are grateful to be able to open source some of our own projects
- We value diversity! We believe that diversity and inclusion are core importance when creating positive experiences for our guests and we think it's critically important when building our teams
- We value our team members! We treat our team members like people, not like cogs in a machine. We value our team members for who they are, not just what they can get done. We are parents, hobbyists, enthusiasts, travelers, family members, community members and can offer flexibility to our team members' schedules/work arrangements so they can flourish both in and outside of work
- Career development and our '50 days of Learning' mantra allow team member to learn from experts, publish, work on patents, grow new skillset as well as mentoring/volunteering
This position may be considered for a Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target's needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location. A Remote work arrangement means the team member works full-time from home or an alternate location that's not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year. Work duties cannot be performed outside of the country of the primary work location, unless otherwise prescribed by Target. The salary range is :$118,200.00 USD - $212,800.00 USD. Pay is based on several factors which may include, but are not limited to education, work experience, certifications, labor markets, etc. In addition to your salary, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Find competitive benefits from financial and education to well-being and beyond at https://corporate.target.com/careers/benefits.Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.