POSITION TITLE: Information Technology (IT) Specialist
JOB NUMBER: 2023-02
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Information Technology (IT) Administrator
EMPLOYEE GROUP: United Staff of Minnesota
LOCATION: St. Paul
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: Nine (9) months
FLSA/GRADE LEVEL: Non-exempt
Under the direction of the IT Supervisor, the IT Specialist’s primary responsibility is to provide effective, professional and efficient support and services to all Education Minnesota staff, EFS Advisor’s and elected officers with on-site and remote technologies. Responsibilities include daily support and maintenance of the organizational computer systems, desktops, and peripherals. That includes installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading all organizational hardware and equipment while ensuring optimal workstation performance. The person will also troubleshoot problem areas (in person or by telephone/video conferencing), in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end-user assistance where required. Other services include troubleshooting problems of users, desktop computers and laptops, printers, voiceover IP phones, video conferencing equipment, cell phones, hand-held devices and network related issues. Manage unexpected issues that arise by gathering data, performing analysis and resolving trouble issues. Test new technologies, and work closely with the IT supervisor in providing support to the network and telecommunication systems on the server level.
Education Minnesota is a member-led labor union that has identified racial equity and social justice as primary organizational goals. All staff are expected to participate, individually and collectively, in ongoing training, discussions, and activities to advance these goals.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the first point of contact for employees seeking technical assistance over the phone or email;
- Support development and implementation of new computer projects and new hardware installations;
- Assist in developing long-term strategies and capacity planning for meeting future hardware and organizational hardware needs;
- Collaborate with Technology team members to ensure efficient operation of the organization's desktop computing environment;
- Conduct research on, and make recommendations for, hardware products in support of procurement and development efforts;
- Where required, administer and resolve issues with associated end-user workstation network software products;
- Receive and respond to incoming calls, pages, and/or work orders regarding desktop problems;
- Ensure that desktop connections (e.g.. network jacks) are in proper working order;
- Prepare tests and applications for monitoring desktop performance, then provide performance statistics and reports;
- Work with third-party support and vendors;
- Perform on-site analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex desktop problems for end users, and recommend and implement corrective solutions, including off-site repair for remote users as needed;
- Provide training to staff on the use of new or emerging technologies;
- Update and manage information an inventory in various record-keeping systems;
- Collaborate with staff in other departments on events and projects;
- and Other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent knowledge of PC and desktop hardware:
- Excellent knowledge of PC internal components;
- Hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience;
- Extensive equipment support experience;
- Working technical knowledge of Microsoft operating systems, security protocols and standards.
- Ability to operate tools, components, and peripheral accessories;
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation and OEM guides;
- Ability to learn and use online meeting platforms;
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment;
- Ability to conduct research into PC and software issues and products as required;
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language;
- Highly self-motivated and directed;
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Keen attention to detail;
- Team-oriented and skilled in working within a collaborative environment;
- Strong customer service orientation; and
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Associates degree in computer or networking (or equivalent)
- Three (3) years related work experience
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (vaccination card) or a waiver written from your medical provider.
- An bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Experience working in public education or unions
- Microsoft certification
Maintain confidential information related to staff, the organization, and related data for members
MACHINES AND/OR TOOLS OPERATED:
- Personal computer
- Word processing, spreadsheet and database software
- Internet and browser software
Work is in a general office environment. Employee may be required to: talk and hear; frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically, lift and carry up to 10 pounds; occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
Willingness to work overtime (including nights and weekends) as needed.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications; merit and business need with preference given to people of color.
POSTING DEADLINE: For consideration, apply online and include a resume no later than 11:59 PM of Sunday, January 29, 2023.
APPLY USING THIS LINK: