Description: JOIN TARGET AS A SENIOR DATA SCIENTIST - SEARCH / RANKING
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America's leading retailers. Target as Tech and Data company? Absolutely! We're the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target's passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation and data decision making. We anchor every facet of one of the world's best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies- the brightest people-to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target's Tech and Data Sciences teams are on a mission to offer the systems, tools, and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile, creative and constant learners.
Join Target's Search and Browse Data Sciences team that builds the core relevance engine and AI products powering Target's Digital (Mobile and Web) experience. As a Sr Data Scientist on this product - you'll work with business partners to provide solutions for business problems in a fast-paced and global environment. You'll have the opportunity to design quality, flexible and performant AI systems and services at scale. You'll also architect AI solutions that capture, process and mine huge datasets in the retail industry. We'll also promote innovative thinking as well as the opportunity to utilize cutting-edge machine learning algorithms and NLP techniques to improve our Mobile and Web Search systems at Target!Key Responsibilities:
- Develop and deploy scalable deep learning models to improve the search experience of Target guests
- Architect and implement large-scale AI systems using test-driven development practices
- Build NLP technology for query and document analysis, processing, and understanding
- Create data pipelines for feature/label extraction and generation
- Conduct data analysis to identify opportunities and improve models
- Conduct research to advance the state-of-the-art machine learning and NLP technologies
- Mentor and partner with other engineers to develop software that meets business needs
- Follow agile methodology for software development and technical documentation
- Innovate constantly and keep systems up to date with current technologies
- MS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics or related quantitative field
- Research or industry experiences in relevant fields such as Information Retrieval, ML, NLP or Recommendation/Recommender systems
- Demonstrated understanding and experience in Search indexing, Retrieval and Ranking
- 1+ year of experience in deploying machine learning algorithms into production environments
- Proficient in Python or Java with advanced coding and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional modeling skills in Python
- Extensive experience in implementing and integrating ML models in production with high traffic
- Experience querying large databases with SQL, HQL or some variations
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work with global teams
- Constant learner mentality that stays on the leading edge of Search/Ranking, ML and NLP advancements
Why grow your career with Target?
- PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics or related quantitative field
- Proven track record of achieving significant engineering (applied ML) or academic research
- Experience with Solr at scale
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- You will work directly on the AI/ML problems that have the most impact on Target's entire digital/web, mobile, supply chain, forecasting and merchandising teams.
- We value diversity. We believe that diversity and inclusion is of core importance when we try to create positive in-store experiences for our guests, and we think it is also critically important when building our teams. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- We love open source! Many of our team members contribute to open source communities and get to do it during work time. We try to contribute back to our communities where we can and are grateful to be able to open source some of our own projects!
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.